coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
Hi Guys,
I am looking to back up my tank in case of a power outage, after looking at some options i decided to go with a power inverter. Here is what i am planning on running during an emergency: This is for a 45 gallon cube:
Is watt calculated per hour?

2 vortech mp10's : Ranges from Wattage: 8-18 Watts

1X 300 watt heater: 300 watt

Acan lights fixture: 70W model, i am sure this will be on a low setting to prevent coral from consuming more oxygen

Mag 9 pump: 93 Watts Power Consumption

If it can be helped i would run only 1 vortech pump if the unit is 4 plugs...

Please advise a inverter unit i should get and how many batteries i will need.
I am looking for a supply that could run me 3-5 days without power
Thank yoU!

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Hi Guys,
I am looking to back up my tank in case of a power outage, after looking at some options i decided to go with a power inverter. Here is what i am planning on running during an emergency: This is for a 45 gallon cube:
Is watt calculated per hour?

2 vortech mp10's : Ranges from Wattage: 8-18 Watts

1X 300 watt heater: 300 watt

Acan lights fixture: 70W model, i am sure this will be on a low setting to prevent coral from consuming more oxygen

Mag 9 pump: 93 Watts Power Consumption

If it can be helped i would run only 1 vortech pump if the unit is 4 plugs...

Please advise a inverter unit i should get and how many batteries i will need.
I am looking for a supply that could run me 3-5 days without power
Thank yoU!

You want to run all those items?
If so, it would be cheaper to buy a generator.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
get a gennerater i was stuck without power for 10days during the last hurricane didnt have a generater but had a few inverters .i had 3 car batterys in my living room running a power head small pump and a very small led light . they would run out of juice in 6hrs . its cheaper and easier to run a generator

coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
what about the mp10 back up batteries, those seem to keep me going for about 3 days, what about for the back up for the heater? That would be my biggest concern? the 300 watt heater can be ran by apc unit, which one should i get?

Last edited:

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
The 300W heater won't last long on a battery backup. The only thing I'd put on a battery backup is lower power consuming equipment such as the Vortech because they'll last the longest and because flow should be a priority, especially in a long power outage no matter the season. Lighting should be your last priority in an outage because they can last easily a few days without light. Heater should be 2nd priority, and only if its winter. Even then, you can wrap your tank with blankets to help slow the cooling down. And if your house has gas boiler, or gas stove, you can do other creative ideas.

coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
thanks guys for the imput, i decided to go with the generator, as for the generator akma it seems to have lots of bad reviews, i am afraid the first time i use it that it will not work.
How do you like yours?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: