d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I tried searching and searching but can't find my answer.

Please help me with your opinions.

I need a good skimmer that will either hang from my sump inside my stand OR in sump that is super compact.

I already owned the T1000 turboflotor and it was good but took up half my sump so I sold it. I bought a used Precision Marine 100 Redline BUT I changed my mind, the tank is 120 I want to provide adequate skimming.

I need a super compact in sump OR hang on sump and there are just too many brands out there with too many price differences and at the end of the day its acrylic and a pump.

Any opinions?

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Believe it or not I have been considering the Coralife 220 but the height is my issue, I modify my stand and it will look professional but such a height will require modifications.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
How compact are we talking?
What are the dimensions of your skimmer chamber? Also water depth?

I ordered a Sea Side Aquatics CS2 that will be here Tuesday. Well reviewed, uses a relaiable and quiet PSK1000. Internal pump.
I have my heart set on getting an ATB 840 v2, but recent unexpected bills made me hold off. I will use the CS2 for a while.

Last edited:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
How are you guys answering questions without knowing more detail?
To the op... What's your budget? Bio-load? Is silence the most important? Performance? Will you consider used?

Right now I have two recommendations: first, don't by an SWC. Second, An in sump skimmer, in general is going to skim much better for you than a hang on back.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Budget is an issue, I cannot drop $500 on a skimmer. If I buy new it has to be reasonable and yes I am open to used items, worst that can happen with a used reliable skimmer in good condition is that the impeller needs to be replaced.

I enjoy fish, the more the better so a heavy bio load is to be expected over time.

In sump would be fine except that I currently dont have a sump with a bubble chamber trap, I have a 30 amiracle sump that I turned into a refugium sump. An in sump model will need to be known for not producing problematic bubbles OR I will need a new sump which I am researching DIY type with a bubble trap.

Yes it should be quite, Coralife is quiet and Turboflotor was quiet.

To the op... What's your budget? Bio-load? Is silence the most important? Performance? Will you consider used?

Right now I have two recommendations: first, don't by an SWC. Second, An in sump skimmer, in general is going to skim much better for you than a hang on back.

INNEED

BROOKLYN
Rating - 95.9%
93   4   0

why not a swc just curios to what u have to say..

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I was never a huge fan of their skimmers, but that was mainly because of their relative cost-to-atman pump ratio.

However, this is much more serious. Take a few minutes and read:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/wf...mporting-coral-rock-sea-horses-135368373.html

In my (not so humble) opinion... if you can read that article and still have no problem buying SWC products, you shouldn't be in this hobby. (Not at all saying anyone here is doing that, by the way)..

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
From reading your post you are considering two items. A skimmer and a sump.
FWIW get the sump first then the skimmer. You are making sacrifices buying a skimmer to fit a small sump when down the road you will increase your sump capacity.
You can get a 30 or a 40 breeder sump under your tank for under $100 then focus on a skimmer. You could probably take care o both for under $400.
JMO

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Budget is an issue, I cannot drop $500 on a skimmer. If I buy new it has to be reasonable and yes I am open to used items, worst that can happen with a used reliable skimmer in good condition is that the impeller needs to be replaced.

I enjoy fish, the more the better so a heavy bio load is to be expected over time.

In sump would be fine except that I currently dont have a sump with a bubble chamber trap, I have a 30 amiracle sump that I turned into a refugium sump. An in sump model will need to be known for not producing problematic bubbles OR I will need a new sump which I am researching DIY type with a bubble trap.

Yes it should be quite, Coralife is quiet and Turboflotor was quiet.

Gotcha. It's tough to recommend a specific model based on your sump sizing limitations, but as for a few ideas or suggestions on where to get started:

My suggestion is to look for a skimmer with a certain pump, as that's where the majority of noise complaints and reliability, performance will come from.

Tunze skimmer pumps are incredible. By far the quietest, best producing skimmer pump I've used. I'm not saying a Tunze brand skimmer is a good idea, as I don't particularly think the skimmers large enough for a 120 will be a good option, but for example if you take a Vertex skimmer body and match that to a Tunze skimmer pump, you're golden.

The new style Sicce 1000 is supposed to be very quiet and reliable as well.

If you do go the route of a skimmer with an Atman pump, I suggest buying a spare pump. They're cheap and are usually easy to obtain. Many people have complaints of reliability issues with them.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

I take performance, noise level and being able to handle a heavy bio-load as a given. Three things that I think anyone shopping for a skimmer would want.
Definitely need more info on what size can fit in there.

I am right there with you on not supporting SWC.

I just spent a ton of time looking for a new skimmer for my 125. The most compact in sump skimmer that uses a reliable and quiet pump (Sicce Psk1000) at a reasonable price I came up with the the Sea Side CS2.
Cant tell you how it is with micro bubbles yet, but this time next week we will know.

A new DIY Sump is a good idea. I use a DIY sump made from a 40 breeder. It is working well. Look for a $1.00 per gallon sale at Petco and you have a good sump for not a lot of money.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
There are stores that sell them for $1 per gallon. Look around for the sale and swoop. I think there is one going now.
If you are handy you could get a 75 gallon under there for a kick ass fuge.
The larger the sump you have means you can fit more in it.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I called the local petco and local Petland but they just stopped the dollar per gallon sale, need to wait more.

a 75 gallon inside a 48inch stand? That would call for a complete stand modification because I am pretty sure the actual functional space within stands is less than the actual stand less more like 46" and will also require modification to raise the display tank or the height of the sump will not allow for easy maintenance access. I will explore this option and see what can I fit in this stand.

There are stores that sell them for $1 per gallon. Look around for the sale and swoop. I think there is one going now.
If you are handy you could get a 75 gallon under there for a kick ass fuge.
The larger the sump you have means you can fit more in it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: