Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up my deep blue 90 RR tank and the overflow makes louder than expected gurgling noises and the air hole on top whistles every minute or so, what can I do to quiet this down a bit?
I just finished quieting down the sump end , this tank is in my living room and my wife is going to kill me, help?
Rick

jscarlata

Aspiring Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Ditch the plumbing that came with the deep blue. Setup a herbie style overflow, use the 3/4 line as a 2nd drain and run your return up over the side. Otherwise if you want to stick with the durso, run the water high in the overflow box to limit splashing, and setup a reverse durso on the sump end. You can also experiment with different sized air holes on the top fitting of the durso drain. The plumbing that comes with the tank is crap, especially the bulkhead seals, worth replacing big time

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm running the Triton 3 and I adjusted the gate, also enlarged the hole on top and the whistling stopped just some splashing on the top over the gate and in the sump.
In the sump I extended the pvc to below water level seems to help a little bit.
Rick

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
what exactly do you mean by a reverse durso in the sump end, exact opposite of the top one or the elbow gets turned around?
I think that will make it impossible for me to fit it in and service the rectangular filter sock Eshopp's RS -200 have?
Thanks,
Rick

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
If you have a filter sock it's going to be tough to run a reverse durso. Did you try the herbie style overflow?
I'm probably going to try that out once I can find a Tunze silence return pump.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus 1000 LSS- its a brand new model with an upgraded bubble blaster pump with lower wattage.
I'm going to try some sort of reverse plumbing in the sump anyway I'll make it removable so I can change the sock
with the Herbie I would have to run a new return line over the back an I want to keep things clean and out of sight.
with the adjustments I made so far things are quieting down a bit, so I'm good.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: