d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
After running around buy up everything that I wanted and needed, not needed, etc., I found myself exhausted and out of expendable hobby funds.
I had decided on buying the Magus NAC7 for the 120g tank that I setup. As I did research on the NAC7, I found that dozens of users loved a similar skimmer that sells for less than half of the NAC7.
I purchased the $130.00 skimmer many weeks ago. I installed it in my old sump without baffles and only had bubble issues for 2 days. I kept my old skimmer running while I tested the knock off I purchased. This SC 180 skimmer outperformed the skimmer I originally had. Yes, when you compare the skimmer side by side with a NAC7 it?s a knock off and a very well built and copied knock off.
I took a chance because the seller offers a money back return within 30 days if you are not happy. I figured all I would lose is $20 sending it back.
The skimmer has one difference from the NAC7, it does not do well in 9.5 inches depth, and the cup simply floods. The SC 180 can only sit in up to 9 inches in depth. I had to make an acrylic stand of .5 inches to have the skimmer sit in 9?. I had created my sump to accommodate the NAC7.
It produced more than my original skimmer and has been on the 120g for about close to 2 weeks and continues to clean up.
The pump is basically the Atman ph2500. The impeller is pin wheel and not mesh wheel which I found to be a plus. The mesh wheel reportedly has to be changed every 6-12 months and most people love the pin wheel impellers anyway.
If you need a skimmer and can?t afford the Alpha cone or don?t care much for it, check out the SC 180.
I even purchased a backup spare pump for the skimmer for $35.00 from the online store just in case the original one dies, just in case.
I figured I pass on the info in case you need a skimmer and can?t afford to dish out $320.00 for one.

Last edited:

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
There is a couple of stores out of Cali but they cost a little more. The store on Ebay is the cheapest.

He carries a 65 gallon, 150 and a 180 and carries all the parts for it as well.

I forgot, no outside links i was told before, even though I see people reference outside links often.

Search Ebay for SC skimmer or SC 180.

jpierson

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the sc150 since January and have been very happy with the performance. The only con is that the bubble plate can't be removed for cleaning. I don't think the 180 has this issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Just checked the tracking on the back up pump I purchased and realized the model # is SCA 302, rated for 180 gallons and yes the SCA 302 can be taken completely apart for thorough cleaning of all components.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Update---I decided to try the skimmer at 9.5 inches of water. It's been in 9.5 inches of water since Friday night.

It flooded for 1 day and now it sits fine in 9.5 inches of water, today is the second full cup that I empty out, maybe it will slow down but so far it's been weeks and this skimmer was def a steal at $130.00 shipped.

I went ahead and purchased every part that can possibly break in case they stop selling them and I still came in under $200.00.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: