E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
My new tank is going to be a 34 gallon Solana. I've spent a lot of time on the planning, but I'm not too excited about many of the retail-level lights out there.

MH is an option, but with an AIO tank of less than 35 gallons, the heat will start to become a concern. Plus, I'm not able to supplement with T5s because the smallest ATI bulbs are 24 inches long, and I don't like the Current or UVL bulbs that fit the Nova Extreme Pro. (That also rules out T5 Only). I could supplement with LEDs, but... Meah.. I don't really want to go that way. :lol2:

I feel that the top of the line LED fixtures out there are ridiculously overpriced (like the GHL Mitras..$1350+ for a 1-foot light) and the "close to top of the line" fixtures like the Radion Pro, Radion, Vega, etc dont have the full color spectrum that I'm looking for, and are simply too much money. The cheapest of the three is $580 with controller, and none of them come with natural or warm white LEDs.

That brings me to DIY LEDs. I'm not going to even attempt soldering LEDs, so the solderless option looks like a great idea. I should be able to build a dimmable fixture with roughly the same amount of LEDs (and my choice of individual colors and arrangement) for about $300-350. If I can pull it off, that's really a no-brainer. The money saved can be used toward a new Apex controller :D

That said, I'm going to need some help with bulb choices, drivers, powering the LEDs, dimming, etc.

Right now I'm looking at a pre-drilled and tapped heat sink from Rapidled. They have one that's roughly the same size as the Vega/Radion and it supports 24 LEDs. That should be plenty for a tank with a 20x16x20h footprint (I'm not counting the sump in the back). Livestock will be mostly Acans, Zoas, and some other LPS corals.

As for ratios of blue, white, etc.. I'm probably going with a 2-1 ratio of royal blue and white (warm and neutral, no CW... But how many of each?) and fill out the rest with violet, green, and (maybe) red. How does this sound? I like a blue look, but I don't want the reds, yellows, etc to be washed out. How many violets should I pick?

This is going to be a place to throw ideas out there, and to get yelled at if im doing something stupid.... everyone that helps out, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'll be following your thread closely.

How do you plan on dimming the lights? I've done some research on the arduino idea, and I'm going to give it a shot on a small unit first. Once I get the dimming portion down, I plan on trying to add a real time weather feature.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I'll be following your thread closely.

How do you plan on dimming the lights? I've done some research on the arduino idea, and I'm going to give it a shot on a small unit first. Once I get the dimming portion down, I plan on trying to add a real time weather feature.

Thanks for following along. I'm not sure how I will dim the lights yet. More than likely, I'm going to use the Variable Dimming Module that comes with the Apex, but it depends on my overall budget. :eek:. If not the Apex, probably the Arduino controller like you mentioned.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
This is where I did a lot of my full spectrum research

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t311998.html

This is a great link. Thanks for posting.

I have a few questions about the LED colors...

How do the "deep red" LEDs differ in color from the regular red ? I would like to include some of each on the build, but I haven't seen the deep red LEDs in person yet. Is it worth buying one of each, or would they overpower the other LEDs? (I'm using 24 total).

As for the whites.. I'm leaning toward using 4x neutral white and 2x warm white... Should the ratio be more of a 1:1 here?

I'm also having a bit of a difficult time figuring out the drivers... Specifically how many LEDs I can drive with each one.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm also having a bit of a difficult time figuring out the drivers... Specifically how many LEDs I can drive with each one.

This I can help with. Look at the forward voltage on the LED data sheet. Then look at the DC voltage on the driver.

Example using rapid LED data:

Mean Well ELN-60-27D dimmable driver - 13.5-27V DC Voltage (runs ~5-8 LEDs)

Forward voltage (@ 1000 mA) ? white, royal blue, blue - 3.5

13.5 / 3.5 = 3.9 (4) LEDs
27 / 3.5 = 7.5 (7) LEDs

I picked LEDs that had a pretty high forward voltage, and you can see that the Rapid LED site says 5-8 LEDs, while I came up with 4-7. If you use one or two LEDs with a lower forward voltage, you're going to be at 5-8 LEDs as stated.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: