Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Happy holidays!!!

Quick question, I need to purchase a new external protein skimmer and a dual chamber calcium reactor. It's going on a 65 gallon and possibly will get moved onto a larger tank. Any opinions or suggestions on these two things. I've always used MTC as my go to. My new company tends to use MRC or deltec, so many to choose from. I just want to spend the money right and get a great product. Hope to see some great feedback.

Thanks

Reef_Paddy

Always Thinkering
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
From personal experience you cant go wrong with Deltec! Through various tank upgrades/downgrades and international moves I've had various sized skimmers from them and loved every one. For that sized tank I would go with the APF800 which can be plumped externally , which would allow you room to grow or go to a bigger tank also.

Reef_Paddy

Always Thinkering
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Skimmers are personal preference TBH and everyone will have their own opinion on why one is better than another. I've had experience with Deltec, Red Sea and another UK company called TMC which are not available in the US. If every I was to change from Deltec the only other option for me would be to look at Bubble King due to the Red Dragon pump it runs with. You certainly do get what you pay for.

Honestly unless you find a used Deltec I wouldn't waste the money on a full retail Deltec, its just not reasonable IMO...I personally have an external Deltec and I love it but I definitely did not purchase it for full retail price. I would suggest a Reef Octopus for quality and price, looked into a few of their recirc skimmers and they look well built and well priced brand new. You should really give them a chance before you set your mind on Deltec, plus you can purchase a nicely size one that could come along for any future upgrades you may venture into.

As far as calcium reactor goes, I would suggest MTC. That's what I have, the MTC Procal and it's pretty awesome, definitely a set it and forget it type of calcium reactor. In the past I've had Korallin and Precision Marine, and Korallin was definitely the worst in terms of ease of use. If I'm not mistaking a member here, Chalan, was selling the MTC Procal for a very very good price, let me see if I can find it and send you the link.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Reefs

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: