jobu28

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
How do you guys wash your filter socks? I was mine in the washing machine and they come out filled with phosphates. Swished around in a bucket of ro after cleaning and then tested water. Phosphates high. Any thoughts. Can't seem to get a handle on my phosphates in my tank and I believe this is the cause. It's a FO system.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Usually phosphates will be high in a fish only system. I wouldn't think that would be the main cause of your issue. Provide some more information about your tank than maybe we can help you get a hold of your phosphate issue.
Phosphates are usually introduced by feeding and fish waste. We need to counter that with water changes, skimming and reactors for phosphate reduction.

jobu28

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
It is an 800 gal fish only system. It has an oversized sump, sro 8000 ext skimmer, 120 w uv. Pump does about 9000 gal a hr and is split with uv and skimmer. I only wash in bleach. Maybe residual detergent in washing machine? I rinse 6 times after they are done. I have been battling for some time. I test tank it's one reading, change socks, reading goes up?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
That doesn't make sense. If you leave the dirty bags your phosphate remains lower than when you replace them with clean bags? This shouldn't be. Which testkit are you using?
What are your nitrates? Are you running GFO?

jobu28

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I'm using a Hanna test kit and I bring to my local fish store which uses something similar just larger to back up my findings. I know it doesn't make sense, it's crazy. But that's why I put clean socks in a bucket of ro and tested a few days later and it tested high for phosphates. I also tested my ro straight away and it tested nothing for phosphates. I was running gfo but got expensive so switched to nylon bags filled with seachems phosguard. Much cheaper. Tried hosing out socks but they don't get nearly as clean.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Ok well this is making sense to me now. There is some leftover organics in the bag even after you wash them. These bags are still removing loads of waste from your FO tank before it can break down and cause a further nutrient problem. I never put my bags in ro water and tested for phosphate but I'm sure it would be more than the 0 reading from the ro water itself. IMO the source of your phosphates is from the creatures in your tank. Improve your nutrient removal i.e. increased water changes, more GFO, change bags more often etc. Feed cleaner as well.

Last edited:

jobu28

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Rich, I understand what you are saying and may agree with the leftover organics in bag. I am still hesitant to 100% agree though. It doesn't make sense that with dirty bags in I test at 1.3. Change socks, two days later its over 2. Replace phosguard, few days later down again. Replace dirty socks with bleached socks, two days later phosphates up.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
"It doesn't make sense that with dirty bags in I test at 1.3. Change socks, two days later its over 2."

You're right this doesn't make sense unless it was a coincidence?

Is there a reason why you are using phosgaurd over a GFO phosphate remover? The rust stuff is much more effective IME over the last 10 years of using it.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
I had a issue wit he the buckets leaching phosphates ,, double check the water itself in the bucket after ur sat for a day or two ,, I bet you it's that

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
There hasn't been phosphates in laundry detergent in 25 years.
I also have to think it is your bucket.

GFO is your best option to combat the issue & more frequent water changes.

jobu28

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Not sure what you guys mean by my bucket? That was only a test. I clean the bags and keep them in a dry bucket normally. I just ran another test. Filled up washing machine with just water, let it agitate awhile, tested it. .50 phosphates. Thinking that's my problem. Residual soap in machine.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Get a finer filter sock, if you are using a "poly bag" type filter sock, whenever you wash it the finer particles go straight through it and back into the water, when it gets dirty, it starts to capture the finer particles better. Unless you have a monster skimmer it will be impossible to get the DOC out of the water after the fine particles have been through your return pump a few times.

The "cloth" filter bags are much better in my opinion.

Alfred

anselmo145

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I change out my 25 micron socks every day. I rinse out the visible junk and pile them up until I wash them with bleach alone. I do a final rinse with rodi water and a few drops of prime. Never have to check for phosphates. I change out a couple of spoonfuls of GFO in a media bag every month.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: