Hecdr34

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
I'll keep it short. I need a new skimmer that fits right for my 33.6 gallon with 40 gallon sump. 50 gallons total. I don't want a skimmer that is too big like the XP-1000sss that I have now. It's an all anemone tank with a few chromis and a pair of clowns. Some that I had in my mind are listed below. Thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thank you

1- Vertex IN-80
2- Nac5
3- Curve5
4- Nac5.5 cone
5- SWC 120

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I like the Vertex (or a used euro reef if you can find one) by far out of those you listed.

Also, take a look at the Warner Marine MF-121. It's what I have right now. Awesome skimmer

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I wouldn't spend the extra money on the Reef Dynamics. If you want to spend some money, buy a Tunze Hydrofoamer or one of the new Sicce pumps (If you can match the GPH of the Vertex pump). They're great.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Skimz equivalent of the Warner Marine MF-121. It has a pretty small footprint.

Third choice would be a Sea Side Aquatics skimmer. They're really just the bubble magus with a GOOD pump.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
normally id agree with eric on the sicce 600 pump upgrade, but i think that might make the skimmer a little too much for a tank that size, and no i wouldnt spend the extra $ on the reef dynamic, it's basically the same skimmer, and use's the same pump ( different name ) once ya get it lmk, pay for shipping and ill send ya a volute from the sedra, it does fit but might change the foot print

Hecdr34

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
Wow, thank you. I appreciate it. If it makes it wider on the 10" side then it might not work. I'll see how wide it really is and then I'll contact you. I've seen 3 different footprints online for the same skimmer so I'm not really sure which one to believe. Thank you

Hector

normally id agree with eric on the sicce 600 pump upgrade, but i think that might make the skimmer a little too much for a tank that size, and no i wouldnt spend the extra $ on the reef dynamic, it's basically the same skimmer, and use's the same pump ( different name ) once ya get it lmk, pay for shipping and ill send ya a volute from the sedra, it does fit but might change the foot print

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Hector, do you still have the two-tank setup? If not, then yeah the Sicce pump upgrade would probably be too much.

You should be able to fit everything in the 40 breeder though, right? I fit that skimmer (and the IN-100) in a 20 gallon high tank.

Hecdr34

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
Im running the BMNAC3.5 cone in my 40 breeder and its pulling out some real nasty

The nac3.5 is an awesome little skimmer. I use to run it on my 30 rimless and it pulled some nasty, black, smelly stuff but It's just so tiny... Lol
tugepaju.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: