pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hi All

Time to change the bulbs! The more I research this the less confident I feel about making the right choice.

Have a 65 gal (36" long) so it's on the deep side. Mostly LPS but would like the option of going with some birdsnest or something if I place them up high on the reef.

Like most I'm trying to find a balance between my 2 desires here....good fluorescence & good growth.

I have an 8 bulb fixture and just added 2 new 10k's so really I need to make a decision on the final 6.

Thanks for any suggestions!

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
What type of fixture is it? On my 90 gal I have an 8 bulb TEK. I can grow SPS down to about 3/4 down. I also have plenty of LPS that does just fine throughout the tank. My combo is all ATI bulbs, front to back
Blue+
Purple+
Coral+
Blue+
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Blue+
It quite blue as you could imagine. I like the blue look though. But Im getting great growth and color everywhere

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
What type of fixture is it? On my 90 gal I have an 8 bulb TEK. I can grow SPS down to about 3/4 down. I also have plenty of LPS that does just fine throughout the tank. My combo is all ATI bulbs, front to back
Blue+
Purple+
Coral+
Blue+
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Blue+
It quite blue as you could imagine. I like the blue look though. But Im getting great growth and color everywhere

I'm wanting to go with the Blue look this year as I was running like (6) 10k-12k with only 2 actinic for the last year.

Only need to replace 6 of the bulbs currently as I've already replaced (2) of the 10k's I had with new bulbs just the other day.

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
With this fixture and some good bulbs you could easily support any SPS and some of the lower light SPS pretty close to the bottom

thanks! so since i already spent the money on (2) 10k bulbs i'll count them as your coral plus bulbs in your config and maybe go with ATI for the other 6...maybe going exactly with your config or swapping a coralplus for 1 of the blues in case I decide it will be too blue?

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
So I guess I'll have...

(2) Aquaticlife 10k bulbs (already purchased them..might as well use them)
(5) ATI Blue Plus
(1) ATI Purple

(not in order)

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So I guess I'll have...

(2) Aquaticlife 10k bulbs (already purchased them..might as well use them)
(5) ATI Blue Plus
(1) ATI Purple

(not in order)

Your mix will be quite a bit whiter then mine. The coral+ is closer to 14K I believe. I think you'll be good though. If you want more blue then pull the purple and replace with blue + or change the 10K's to aquablues or coral+.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: