hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Background: I have a 75g FOWLR with 4x 28w T8. I have a 55g Reef with 4x54w T5 that I will definitely upgrading to a matching 75g.

I saw listed this 6 bulb fixture (CAD Light) but only 4 bulbs worked. Since it was only $50, i figured for 4 bulb fixture it was a great price and if I can get the other two working, then it was a steal.

Well, I bought it and opened it up and though the pin connectors do need replacing, the two sets that don't work are because the ballast are melted.

Now, I can't find any information on the manufacturer, CAD. CADLIGHTS doesn't even have this product listed and Fishtankdirect seems to be a one man shop with an answering service. It doesn't look difficult to replace these circuit boards (ballast?) but I only found these exact ones listed on a website in India. So, can I replace them with any ballast? What specifications do I need to know? Where can I find a similar ballast that will fit?

Lastly, considering the tanks that I have, do I need to go through the trouble and just stick with 4 working bulbs?

Thanks,

Hector

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing those "ballasts" I'd replace them all while you have the unit apart.

Look into Fulham Workhorse ballasts, cheap and can wire up to 4 depending on which one. You should be able to find a wiring chart for the bulbs it supports but the ballast are going to be bigger.

I have to say for the price of the unit, I wouldn't expect Odyssea (ebay lights) for internals.

Here's their bulb to ballast wiring chart.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/pdf/Fulham-Lamp-Chart-brochure.pdf

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
The unit is listed for $320 new, so I am surprised that it's such a inferior equipment and parts internally.

I am lost with the ballast, each bulb has its own ballast, can I change it so that I have 1 or 2 ballast in total? Or do I have to get a ballast for each bulb?

I check the site but as far as i can tell, the ballast can only handle up to 2 54w T5HO bulbs.

What am I missing?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: