heylauren

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting back into the hobby again, and I was eyeing a 120 RR setup...

I've been out of the loop for about 2 years on new gadgetry and stuff, if somebody could be so kind to give me a heads up as to what's new out there, like lighting options, or skimmers.

Last time I left the hobby, I was thinking of getting an eshopps skimmer and I had an LED pendant that I didn't care much for.

Thank you ahead of time!

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'd say go with a 6 or 8 bulb t5 fixture (ati or tek) for your light. Ad far as a skimmer goes, everyone is using bubble Magnus, vertex or reef octopus. I just ordered a Vertex Omega 150 fir my 125 build. I let you know how it works in a couple if months lol

heylauren

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'd say go with a 6 or 8 bulb t5 fixture (ati or tek) for your light. Ad far as a skimmer goes, everyone is using bubble Magnus, vertex or reef octopus. I just ordered a Vertex Omega 150 fir my 125 build. I let you know how it works in a couple if months lol

Nice!

I was just looking at the 4 bulb 48" aquaticlife t5, but I might get the 6 bulb since you mentioned it...

I was browsing on Ebay for a little bit, and I keep seeing these chinese LED fixtures coming up, know if any of them are good?

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
What do you plan on doing with the tank?

Fish, reef, reef to include sps? As far as equipment goes, I would check here for used equipment for lighting and skimmers. You can catch a good deal on very nice equipment when people upgrade or simply get out

ClownAquatics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
45   3   0
If you plan on sps and a clam I would recommend a 8 bulb T5 fixture over a 6. You can keep sps and a clam with the 6 bulb, but would need them in the upper area of the tank.

Skimmer wise I would recommend an XP 2000 or SRO 2000, should perform very well for you.

heylauren

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions!

I checked the skimmers, they are a little pricey for what I'm looking for, unless I get one used... I'm going to keep checking for a complete setup, if that doesn't work, I'll just start buying piece by piece.

I read up on algae scrubbers, anybody know if it's worth the effort?
Compared to plain carbon, chemical media?

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Get a Vertex Omega 150. Best bang for the buck. Excellent build. Higher lph than any other skimmer in it's class and the build is fantastic. This is 4 days skimmate

20130307_144156_zpsde0ced1d.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: