heylauren

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The tank I'm planning on buying is a 120G, I checked it out and it looks like the owner hit it the silicone edges with his algae scraper a few times. I didn't think much of it, I asked him if there was every any trouble and he said no.

It didn't alarm me at the time, I have had tanks in the past and they were much smaller, but all had the same scrape marks (missing pieces) of silicone from hitting with the scraper.

Opinions?

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Did you buy the tank? If not ask seller to fill it up before pu unless of course its full

Last summer i bought a 220 without asking seller to fill. I decided to buy a rr tank instead and sold the tank before using it. Two days after selling it the back panel blew out. I made a thread on it here. Good luck

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
As far as I know, the tanks strength comes from the joint, the excess silicone on the outside is just added protection and can functionally be trimmed very very close.

Posting a photo for us wouldn't hurt so we can see. If it makes you nervous - move on and go for something brand new.

heylauren

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
As far as I know, the tanks strength comes from the joint, the excess silicone on the outside is just added protection and can functionally be trimmed very very close.

Posting a photo for us wouldn't hurt so we can see. If it makes you nervous - move on and go for something brand new.

It doesn't make me nervous, just asking in case there was issues in the past with others tanks having the silicone with jagged edges!

I'm getting this tank very cheap, a new one is almost the price of the entire setup I'm getting!

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Sometimes things are cheap for a reason. I didn't mean what I wrote in an offensive way.

Either way, I personally have bought both new and used. If anything used makes me uncomfortable I pass.

Can you possibly get a photo? Is the tank filled?

heylauren

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sometimes things are cheap for a reason. I didn't mean what I wrote in an offensive way.

Either way, I personally have bought both new and used. If anything used makes me uncomfortable I pass.

Can you possibly get a photo? Is the tank filled?

I didn't get offended at all!

You and thirty6 have been very helpful so far! Thank you both.

I'm a worry wart, my gut tells me its fine, and the owner assured me the tank is sound and has no leaking issues or anything like that.

Just looking for encouraging words haha!

I'm picking it up on Saturday morning, I wouldn't be able to get a pic and wait for responses and such, but I'll take a very good look at it all before I hand over the money. If I see the cuts go deep or large chunks missing, I'll pass. Overall I'm just not too familiar with what would damage the integrity of the seal. Hearing that the tapering edges of sealant don't do much for the overall integrity gives me a little more confidence now.

I've had tanks in the past with cuts that I've done myself, never got concerned one bit, but the tanks were a lot smaller.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Buying from someone here or similar forum? That would add to my confidence slightly

I got burnt bad over the summer and learned a tough lesson, took a loss on tank but did the rt thing for the buyer. What your describing doesn't sound all that bad really. Good luck with it.

heylauren

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
When I got home with the tank today, I noticed this thing long air bubble. I'm not sure if it was there before or after I moved it. I did give it a good look over before I bought it but not sure...

20130309163941.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I googled the same question, and I saw a couple of replies that this is just a bad silicone job/typical AGA.

heylauren

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm going to take a chance and just fill it in place in the house, considering it's going to be on the lower floor/concrete slab, if it did leak, it will just get the carpet wet.

If there is no expansion/nothing happens, is it good to go?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: