BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I currently have the BRS dual reactor and it was easy to have one media in each.

I recently won the Next reef Mr1 media reactor at the swap and was curious if anyone has ever used both carbon and GFO in this one reactor or a similiar one? I know the best thing is to have two mr1 reactors but i don't have the space. Has anyone done this with success and if so, how did you do it?

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
any other help? Im considering having the carbon at the bottom and the GFO on the top seperated by a media sponge. has anyone tried this?

It works fine,I have used the single reactor for years. Put a sponge in the top of the canister and pour in about 2-3 inches of carbon.Add the middle sponge and push up to meet the carbon (carbon does not need to tumble) now add an inch or two of the gfo and close the canister (it should have a another sponge built into the bottom that you are screwing on. Add the pump and have the valve closed all the way. Plug the pump in and open the valve very slightly and watch the GFO. Keep opening the valve until the GFO is slightly moving. You want a ripple effect not a tsunami . Over time you are going to keep opening the valve because the media is getting heavy from detritus building up in the reactor. You should change out every 4-6 weeks
Hope this helps

gvanwhy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I mix both the Gfo and carbon together. Just use half the amount of the Gfo since it lasts longer than the carbon so you do not waste it. Use the brs calculator to find out what you need. I change mine out every 2 weeks. I put the bottom sponge close to the top and fill it up to the top of the reactor with the mix then push it down with the top sponge and cover. This seems to work really well for me.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
It works fine,I have used the single reactor for years. Put a sponge in the top of the canister and pour in about 2-3 inches of carbon.Add the middle sponge and push up to meet the carbon (carbon does not need to tumble) now add an inch or two of the gfo and close the canister (it should have a another sponge built into the bottom that you are screwing on. Add the pump and have the valve closed all the way. Plug the pump in and open the valve very slightly and watch the GFO. Keep opening the valve until the GFO is slightly moving. You want a ripple effect not a tsunami . Over time you are going to keep opening the valve because the media is getting heavy from detritus building up in the reactor. You should change out every 4-6 weeks
Hope this helps

Thanks Andy! Exactly the advice I was looking for

JohnM

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a question that is close to this, I have the BRS Dual Reactor and I was wondering if I could run the GFO and Carbon in one like you're asking and then biopellets in the other. I know on the BRS website it says not for use with biopellets but the reactors they sell for biopellets look exactly the same.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
I have a question that is close to this, I have the BRS Dual Reactor and I was wondering if I could run the GFO and Carbon in one like you're asking and then biopellets in the other. I know on the BRS website it says not for use with biopellets but the reactors they sell for biopellets look exactly the same.

i'm guessing the reason for a separate reactor for biopellet is the flow rate. biopellet needs a much higher flow rate to tumble them.

biopellets>>gfo>>carbon.

i assume the dual chambers are in series therefore it would be not be possible to have high enough flow for the biopellets and low enough not to disintegrate the gfo.

i was under the impression that carbon needs to be change out every 2 weeks and the gfo every 4....hence not using them in the same chamber.

i no longer run gfo nor carbon....just biopellets.

JohnM

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
From what I understand, you are correct in the fact that the GFO is to be replaced every 4 weeks and carbon every 2 weeks (of course this all varies on your specific tank and livestock). That's why BRS tells you to do the mix 1/3 GFO and 2/3 Carbon which will make this a little better, obviously it wont be the BEST overall solution but it will work.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
From what I gather I can put them stacked and just adjust the flow like Andy said. Which makes sense because the dual reactor I'm using now has the same flow thru both reactors.

I rather have it stacked with a media sponge in between than mixed in together. And still use the ratio of 1/3 to 2/3 gfo/carbon respectively. Thanks for the help.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: