tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey there,

These are two reactors I won at the SWAP.

Issues I need help with:

1. Dual Reactor from Affordable Aquatics:
I am running this with a brand new Maxijet 1200, which is over rated for the suggested rate. There is only a 6-10" height for the pump to push water from the sump into the reactors.

However, there is such a SMALL to NIL flow coming out of the reactor.

Why?
I have adjusted the tubing-cut it shorter so water has less distance to travel.
I have tried adjusting how the pump is connected to the tube all to no avail.

I do not want to sep. them as i'd need more pumps.

2. i have the kalk stirrer 300 from TLF.
I need help figuring out how to set it up.

I have surmised that I can set it up in two ways:
a. slow drip into the sump without being fed by any other water source than the kalk mix within the reactor. Requiring me to also have a sep. ATO system and at least 1-2x per week have to refill the kalk reactor (once I figure out my kalk needs that number may change).
b. slow drip into the sump while being fed by my ATO water which will consistently replace my top off plus the water necessary for the reactor itself (set up a constant mix of kalk water)

i think I understand how to set the kalk up for situation A, it seems like it is set up just like the TLF phosban reactor, just a slower drip rate, which I suppose I can get a valve for.

Now, set up B, I read a lot about, and there are some youtube vids, but they dont actually show the mechanical set up.

So, any help you can provide.
Pics work wonders....:)

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I'm not familiar with Kali, but could you T off the lines and the sep. Reactors from the one pump? Sort of like a manifold for the reactors? Just a thought, I have not attempted this. I'll be setting a reactor up tomorrow hopefully. StarTing with rowaphos and will add carbon soon

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I understand what you're saying :)

I did that when I used two sep. TLF phosban reactors- teed them off to be feed by 1 pump.
I was hoping that since i had the dual, that I would not have to worry about that.
Especially since this dual reactor does not sit on the sump itself. The TLF reactors are pretty easy to use...I guess i should have just stuck with them!

If I can't figure out a way to make good use of the MJ1200 the way the reactos are now, then I will sep. them. :(

thanks!

Goodluck with your reactor!

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
so i took apart the reactor and there is some cotton and plastic rim at the bottom and top of the canisters themselves.

These things are clogged.

I am reading that BRS is now recommending that folks go with a unit higher than a MJ1200 to combat the clogging.

I have an extra pump (some petco thing from my first skimmer ever).

However, the push fittings are too small.

Surely there is a way to connect a non MJ pump to these reactors using the same fittings.

Esp. if the company knows the design of the unit and the use of the unit can lead to stalled flow for many customers.

I may just trade this unit for the TLF.
I had no issues when I used them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: