TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
So i'm at work right now, but I saw that my ato from autotopoff.com came in the mail this morning. I need to make new rodi water when I get home anyway but I was wondering what you guys use for storage containers? I don't really have a lot of room under my tank but I can put it on the side of my tank. Home depot bucket? Does the water just sit in it or do you have any flow? Is it closed off or is it open top? Sorry - first time with this. Any help or tricks or tips would be helpful if any...

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Ok thanks. I have a plastic clear tupperware style that I've been using to store my rodi water and mix my saltwater in. I believe it's around 7-8 gallons. Can I just use this? I would just use a different bucket to fill it up when needed.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Ok thanks. I have a plastic clear tupperware style that I've been using to store my rodi water and mix my saltwater in. I believe it's around 7-8 gallons. Can I just use this? I would just use a different bucket to fill it up when needed.

That would be fine. Just make sure it is well rinsed out. You don't want any salt residue in there. Ideally something to cover the top would be good to keep out dust.

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I have two of them. 1 for plan rodi water and 1 that I use to mix the salt in. That one I have a small powerhead in just to keep the water moving inbetween changes. Thank you so much for the quick help. Getting off work soon and I'm going to get this thing started. I hope it's easy to figure out. I bought the pump and the bracket and sensor off their website. Should be easy enough I assume. I will ask back here if I have further questions. I assume a small airline tubing is needed to feed from the pump to the sump to top off the water?

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Because when I do my rodi water I bring my bucket downstairs right outside the garage and do the water there every Saturday. I don't have a set station in my home where I have the water "installed". I bought my rodi machine when I first set it up it's a pos. It leaks a little bit but eventually when I buy a brand new one I'm going to hook it up in the laundry room. But still, my bedroom is upstairs and they are no where near each other.

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Here's some pics. This is the unit under water.
ImageUploadedByReefs1371530900.157787.jpg
This is where I have it sit
ImageUploadedByReefs1371530932.507302.jpg
This airline tube is hooked up to the Tom pump
ImageUploadedByReefs1371530968.740592.jpg
And this is the container I've used to store the top off water.
ImageUploadedByReefs1371531004.640636.jpg
That water looks weird in the pic. It's crystal clear though lol

Works good so far. Just have to get an actual idea on how much water is being used etc. was easier than I expected.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Look at the bottom of your container and check the "number", make sure it is food safe.
ImageUploadedByReefs1371556520.982970.jpg
I would also look into getting a double float ATO, which has a back up (failsafe") float which turns off the pump incase the first float gets stuck....I've had several floats get stuck and I've been saved by the 2nd float.

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Thanks for the help so far. Any tips on keeping the airline tubing fully submerged. It's a new line so it was rolled up in my drawer. So this morning it was sucking in air instead of water because the tube went above the water line. Any tips on how to keep it fully submerged at the bottom corner somewhere? I was thinking some kind of weight or something (not hazardous obviously)

Spsnut

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drill a hole in the top of a 3/4" PVC cap and use a loose overhand knot to hold it in place. Boil some water and turn off the heat, then pass the tubing through and it will lose its memory. I see no need for finding "food grade" labelled pails. I have salt buckets with recycle 2's, 4's, and 5's; none are stamped food grade. For many outside the industry PVC isn't truely safe either, however, like old salt buckets we in the hobby have been using it without apparent problems for many years.

Last edited:

Reef_Paddy

Always Thinkering
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
A bit pricy I know but if external aesthetics are a concern, you should check out Elite Aquatics ATO reservoirs. They do 5 and 10 Gallon sizes. I've got he 5 Gallon and would buy it again tomorrow if I needed to.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: