james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
This is one of my first reviews so bare with me. First thing I do when reading a review is try to find out what credentials the writer has for what they are reviewing. I am by no means a chemist, an amazing DIY'er (though I like to think I am), or have all the answers to everything reef related. So my review may be vague because I simply do not want to fill in what I do not know with what I "think" is correct. So theres my sign off.

I have zero experience with using Kalkwasser in any form, but have found a need for it once I purchased a apex controller and saw my Ph dropping very low during the night. So I took to the internet and engulfed myself in the subject for a week or so. It seemed to me that there was always a risk for a potential failure no matter which way you decide to dose kalk. Sure its easy to dump it in your ATO but you run the risk of clogging the pump that delivers the solution. Dosing pumps, aqualifters, drip lines with a valve, all seem to run the same risk. Then came the Kalk King system.

Please note, at this moment (8/11/2013) I have only had the Kalk King running for a couple of days. My review therefore, is only on my immediate reaction and opinion of the system to date. I will post back once I can comment on how everything holds up in time.

I first reached out to Kong via this forum asking about his new Kalk King system. He was fast to reply and was very helpful in all my questions. He was even nice enough to rush shipping for me. Fast Forward a few days and it had arrived. I have to note the packaging was on par with other companies such as bulk reef supply. Everything was tightly wrapped and divided by foam inserts. Even the box had a nice decor with information on it.

Install: 10/10
Installing the unit was a BREEZE! Every cord was color labeled that matched a corresponding color on the computer unit. Kong also has a youtube page where he walks through every step of the install with you. Though I did not need the video, it was really nice to watch it before getting started to visually see what I was doing.

Quality/Craftsmanship 7/10
The unit is put together very well. It is obvious that ALOT of thought and foresight went into the design of this system. They supply a larger diameter tubing to prevent clogging, and give you 12 feet of it in case your top off container is far from your system. The two feed pumps seem to work well so far and are small enough to fit in almost any container you want to have them in; the pumps even come with small nylon filter sock type bags to prevent residue entering the system. Each pump comes with a check valve.
The reaction chamber itself is built well. The output side of the chamber utilizes a very large diameter vinyl house to prevent clogging as well.
The reason I gave quality a 7/10 was for the head unit aka Kalk King computer.
The two turn knobs seem fragile as well as all the switches and button. The overall weight and feel of the computer to me, seems fragile. The two mounting tabs are plastic and not metal. The two metal ports for the Ph probe and Ph meter came slightly bent. I had to take small pliers to fix them up a bit.
The cover for the reaction chamber comes with a rubber grommet with screw tabs to secure shut. The (*for lack of a better name*) sidewalls of the cover did not line up great and showed marring from when they cut the acrylic. Again, a small lack in refinement and finish.
The plastic screws supplied that are used on the bottom of the reaction chamber to level it from the sump/tank are not long enough to do so. This causes a small amount of kalkwasser to form at the bottom lower side. Not a big deal as the stirrer/mixing pump takes care of that. I also had to cut a longer vinyl hose for the output as the supplied one was not long enough for my sump. You want the output as close to, but not touching, the surface of the water to prevent co2 from precipitating.

Guidance/ Instructions 9/10
All the youtube videos Really helped with learning how the programming works. Don't get scared with the word "programming," its nothing more than one button and a series of blinking lights indicating time intervals and which pump you are programming. The system comes with default settings. The visual aid helped for this. I do find the instruction manual to be well thought out, and put together well. It even highlights key terms, and useful tips on maintenance and kalkwasser in general. Mr. Kong is another key part to this good rating, if you have any questions or concerns it is nice to know he is available and willing to help via pm/email/phone. The reason I took a point off the rating is that I feel some more buttons and or led status lights would make the overall programming and understanding a bit easier. Something along the lines of up/down arrows, and dedicated LED's for which pump is working at the moment. This is where I had to watch the youtube videos a few times over next to my tank. But hey, if I can do it, you sure as hell can.

Function 10/10
This is the easy part. This thing is great! Again, alot of thought and redundancy went into this system. To put it in a clam shell, The Ph probe tells the computer if the Ph is currently lower than the users set limit (mine is 8.35) and if it is, the next time the float switch is on (meaning sump/tank is low) the unit will dose kalk solution in set increments until the float switch is turned off. Vise versa, if the float switch is on and the Ph is at the limit, it will bypass the feed pump for the reaction chamber and dose top off water directly into the tank or sump.
Why didn't somebody think of this sooner!
Everything is adjustable, but the default settings are very good as well. Once every two hours the unit will not top off or dose and mixes the kalk into a slurry for a set time and waits for another set time for it to settle again and begin its slow stirring cycle keeping a consistent Ph solution. Its pretty close to a set it and forget it system, coming from someone who takes a week to do something that should take a day.

Overall, I give the unit a 9.5/10
I look for redundancy when purchasing reef equipment, and thats what this has to offer. I like to do things once and do it right. Theres nothing worse than cheaping out or not doing enough research, than having to trash it and purchase all over again. I feel comfortable telling you all that I did this one right. Check this one off the list, time to move on to the next project.

Hey Kong, Any chance on a Calcium reactor King?!

I have a few pics but I will start uploading them right after I post this so check back momentarily

Last edited:

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
7uby7y4a.jpg

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
The Kalk King has been running for a little over 3 months now and its still A++
I feel like more people should look to this when considering all other options for a kalk reactor.

The only note so far is that the small pump in the kalk chamber starts to hum if the chamber is low on kalk or too much has built up on the walls and bottom. I say it needs to be washed out every 2-3 months like other equip

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: