Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I'm thinking of switching my lights* to T5 or some kind of T5/LED or T5/MH hybrid. Either way T5 will be a key component...debating the ATi Sunpower, ATi Hybrid LED Powermodule, or perhaps, a T5/MH combo like the Hamilton Cebu Sun, one of the Giessman (spectra, infinity) or Sfiligoi if I could find one.

ANYWAY here's the question:

My tank is a 120g long - it's 60" x 18" x 26". So the foot print is 60x18 with dual back corner overflows that extend 6" towards the center of the tank on either side. My main question is... would a 48" fixture (let's assume T5 only for argument sake) be adequate to light this tank? I'm talking a heavily SPS reef. Fortunately the majority of my rockwork is towards the center so there's that. Here's a picture for reference, also, with those measurements, and my addiction to fancy pants acropora, how many T5 bulbs to maximize growth and color flexibility??

Thanks in advance.

*Yes I'm running LED only now, yes I'm not happy with the color/growth of my acropora (or the ones that have died) No, I don't want to get into a debate about MH vs T5 vs LED vs BBQ etc. Let's leave that for another time and place.

augustFTS1_zpsa8d76cf1.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
No canopy...hanging the fixture above like I do with my LED's now. Air flow good.

Right on. ATI for sure if I go pure T5 or if I break the bank and go for their T5/LED hybrid. T5/MH is another story.

I think I'm leaning away from the MH combo. The power use - for both the bulbs and the chiller running more often than it does - irritates me despite the growth potential. Pure T5 is probably the easiest and most plug and play solution...and the cheapest. Plus we know it grows and colors SPS as good or very, very close to MH.

I wish the hybrid was cheaper - duh - and that there was a 6 bulb version too. 4 and 8 is nice, but there has to be a need for the 6.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: