debbythefowler

bona-fide REEF NUT
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Folks,

Thank you in advance for your counsel. I'm a 1-year-young reefer but a life-long fish keeper. I have a 220 gallon tank whose h2o tests are routinely:

temp 79, Nitrates 10-20, PH 8.1, Alk 6.048, SG 1.026, Calc 450, Phos .03-.05, Mag 1250-1300

Livestock

Zoas, shrooms, cloves, xenia, leathers

Acans (small mostly2-4 heads), Blasto, again small, 2 Duncan trees of about 10-15 heads each, one sprungs stunner challice.

Not a lot of fish, 2 med.size tangs, some PJ cardinals, some small wrasses, an orange spotted blenny, a CUC and one 6" Crocea Clam

The questions are:

do I need to dose if my parameters are as stated and pretty steady thru water changes?

How do I determine what a low, med or high bio-load is (as described on BRS TV)

How do people feel about dosing manually (calc, alk, mag)?

What are the best dosing pump systems and why?

thank u]

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Pretty sure your alk is low. Should be around 8-12 dkh. U can use 2 part alk and calcium from brs.

I do it manually so I can't give reccomendation on a good dosing pump.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Can you post a photo of your tank for me?

What test kits are you using?

Have you double checked that alk with a second kit?

What salt are you using?

If using one, is your refractometer calibrated?

Can you test a fresh batch of newly made saltwater that's been mixed for me and MSG back with results.

Manual dosing is fine

I have a "sticky" thread at the top in the chemistry section that should help you out. I suggest you reading it. If you answer those questions I can help you. Something isn't adding up with those results if your constantly getting them.

-jonny!

debbythefowler

bona-fide REEF NUT
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Nitrates kit Elos and Salifert
Alk - Hanna
Calc - Elos
Mag Elos
Phos Hanna
refractometer - calibrated
Instant ocean reef crystals

Attachments

• tank-1.jpg
    tank-1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 157
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I had a feeling you were going to say Hanna. Do not make any adjustments or dosing until your alk is checked with a salifert,Elos,or Red Sea kit. I am certain your alk is fine if your calibrated, and your cal/mag are constantly in range.

Suggesting that he needs to raise levels, when he is routinely getting these levels is not the answer.

However, If the results come back low which I doubt. we can start looking for the reason. Which would probably lead me to believe its a salt issue.

Be sure to read the dosing sticky in the chemistry section.

-Jonny

Last edited:

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Good point on the consistency aspect...if getting the same number over and over then your levels are not dropping and are being maintained by your wc routine. When I started dosing it was because even with 20% weekly WC my alk was dropping lower and lower and was not coming back up...

This is expressed really really we'll in Holmes' article on wc to maintain levels...

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/#7

So even if his test kit is off, if it's a stable number it means the depletion rate is not overtaking his wc routine.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: