• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Masgatigata

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I just rewired my Hamilton m80 hqi ballast onto my fixture. It fires up my phoneix 14k bulbs without a problem but when I try the radium bulbs they don't fire up. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? They are brand new bulbs and I handled them with care.

Last edited:

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Hi, M80 (magnetic) should actually work with your Radium. It is with electronic ballasts that you need to make sure you are running in "HQI" mode (which if I understand correctly is just a "boost" compared to the standard power delivered to the bulb)

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I'm running the same ballast and bulb combo. It's not the ballasts it's the new bulb. I think they changed the contact points. They need some time before the turn on the first time. I tried older bulbs and they fired up right away ... A new bulb needs time to fire also unscrewing and screwing them back a few times helps me.

Masgatigata

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Just in case anyone else runs into a similar problem, a member on another site recommended I shorten the ballast chord. I cut it down to 17", reconnected to the light fixture and the radiums fired. Apparently the bulbs need a lot more firing power and chord length can have an effect.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: