• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
My reeflo barracuda has been running now for about a year and thinking it needs to be cleaned. Since this is my first external pump what do I need to do as far as maintenance for the pump and how do I clean it? Thinking of doing it tomorrow

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
James I've been running Reeflos for years(darts) and I take them off line every 6 months for cleaning. Hot water and an old toothbrush work great. Take the housing apart and clean the housing and impeller. You'll need a long thin brush to get into the chanels of the impeller. I also clean the seal springs so they keep good tension to extend the life of the seals. Also clean as mentioned the fan. Re tighten the housing bolts back to spec and you notice a big difference in flow when running again.

cdamiano

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
154   0   0
I Have the same pump. I had not done any maintenance on it for 5 years. I noticed a very slow leak on it recently, which was due to the seal needing to be replaced so I swapped it with a spare that I have while I replace the seal. These pumps are real workhorses.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: