BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
anybody using Tunze Skimmers? I just stumbled upon the 9415 model and it was pitted against my fav brand the reef actopus, and straight out the box without too much fine tuning, seemed to outpreform the RO,,but I'm skeptical.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Way back when I used a Tunze 230, I think, which sat on top of the tank. It did a really good job but it was a little noisy, it made a whistling sound when it sucked in the air. Overall they're better skimmer than the Octopus line, but they do cost a lot more. A lot of skimmer produce foam right out of the box, even Sea Clones, and a lot of that is due to oil or material inside the new skimmer, so you probably need to give it some time and see if it actually works better.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
the Tunze 9420 is the one I'm looking at compared to the SS200int, From what I see I dont like that the Tunze doesnt have anywhere to hookup to a collection cup, but I do like the design. Truthfully, I'd really like an external RO but I havent seen any debates between internal and external skimmers.

90reefernyc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bioman
I have the 9420 I used it for 7 years with no issues. I just recently changed it out. I still have it with 2 pump lmk if you want it.
Jimmy

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Thanks Jimmy, I might take you up on that in the near future. I actually placed my order for a regal 220INT yesterday but depending how much larger I make my filtration area I'd probably add another skimmer in there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: