coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.4%
228   11   0
I need a new light on omy fuge. been running stunner strips x 5 and was running good. but they have been dieing one at a time. would prefer to stick to LED's and want something under $100 any suggestions? I'm growing mainly chaeto. TY

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Another alternative is if you can mount track lighting somewhere above the fuge. Not sure how you have it set up.. I used track lighting over planted tanks with great success. Just screw in whatever bulbs you want.

Clip on lights are probably the best bet though, as others suggested.

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
I'm also using a clamp light but I removed the clamp and domed part of it due to lack of room.I'm using a 54 watt par38 and it does the job and then some..funny part is even with the light off it still gives off some blue light which is growing coraline algae in my refugium like crazy!!I think I paid $30 on ebay for the light..well worth every penny

Attachments

• IMG_20151007_183801.jpg
    IMG_20151007_183801.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 307

coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.4%
228   11   0
thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. I ended up getting seriouse about growing chaeto and purchased a light from Canada. It claims it activates chloraphil A in plants for best and fastest growth. we shall see if what they claim is as good in real life.

coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.4%
228   11   0
over priced "refugium lights" are over rated, I went to the dollar store picked up a clamp on lamp put in a 65 watt equivalent LED bulb and called it a day. My caulerpa was near dead before hand and now is grow fast.

its not a refugium light... its a grow light. big differance. can you grow under regular light? sure... at the same rate...? nope. I have a high demand tank.

coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.4%
228   11   0

$12 bulb and $6 clamp light. Works awesome. And I am skimmerless on my 125 gallon.

I'm glad it works for you, I'm not seeing what you have in your 125 gal DT. so I cant comment on that.

The laws of nature are the same for you as they are for me. I am not disputing that you can not grow algae under a light like yours. However, the spectrum and intensity of light has everything to do with the speed and health of growth. your picture clearly shows some dark areas and cant imagine good speed or health from the eges of your refugium.

I do have a question... what exactly are you growing in your sump? lol.

Last edited:

HefeWeizen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I have 9 fish, with only 2 being small (blue chromis). My water parameters would support SPS, including much harder ones than the easy monti caps I have.

I've actually steered away from SPS and have gone softie because I like the swaying polyps better. The sticks got boring.

This was the tank a few years back.

coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.4%
228   11   0
thats still looks like a much lower demand tank than mine. having said that every tank is differant. however again the laws of nature govern us both the same. it just does and its all about the speed that you grow it at. that equates to the uptake speed. so I can dump more food more often ect.

My chaeto just reached the top water line today. three days in. incredible growth.

DSNYshellback

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Great looking tank Hefe!! You really not running a skimmer on that?

And glad you got your light problem fixed Coral. I had a space problem too. I was using the clamp light with a Cree LED from Home Depot. Can't tell you how many times I broke one trying to move something around.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: