BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Whats pros and cons to these? I'm rebuilding my 265gal and left this small piece of equipment out on my first build...Along with calcium reactor, doser etc

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
if you planning on getting an APEX... better act fast. they have 10% off sale going on now at most retailers. I think the sale ends tonight though. I just picked one up.

I finally looked at some reefers signature line and it's reef angel, then I went to their website and liked all the add-ons. Seems similar to Apex so I'm wondering is this a T5 vs LED thing.
Also I heard thru the grapevine theres new Apex probes that test everything but you have to buy monthly refills of the cartridge.(more or less what I described)

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I finally looked at some reefers signature line and it's reef angel, then I went to their website and liked all the add-ons. Seems similar to Apex so I'm wondering is this a T5 vs LED thing.
Also I heard thru the grapevine theres new Apex probes that test everything but you have to buy monthly refills of the cartridge.(more or less what I described)

sounds like you are describing a product called seneye... which is neither apex nor reefangel.

I also looked into both of the systems, I went on to reef angels website and it just seemed very confusing how there were a million different pieces, while apex has less parts. Although from that, it almosted seemed like reef angel allowed you to do more with the controller, but i just didnt know where to start. Figured Apex seemed a little more user friendly which is why i ended up with it.

So to me its more a mac vs pc, than a t5 vs LED.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
More like PC vs Linux. Reef Angel is open source and is programmed in C. There is a wizard for the RA that will take care of 90% of the situations you want out of the box. It isn't really that hard. We help mostly everyone on the forum get what they need. If you have any computer programming knowledge or like to tinker I'd highly recommend RA otherwise can't go wrong with an Apex. I believe the monitoring you were referring is called the Mindstream Aquarium Monitor. Currently it's vaporware and they failed their kickstart. They're still chugging along but who knows when it will be accessible. It's also $600 without the monthly cost.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Reef Angel is more customizable Apex is more user friendly (after you initially pull out all your hair). I have used both extensively.

What did you decide to stick with? I plan on keeping SPS, LPS and a nice selection of fish. Lighting will be both LED and T5 over 265 gallons

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Definitely is a Mac vs Pc / T5 v Led / Boxer vs Briefs / iPhone vs Droid type of argument. Both controllers have their proponents and their detractors. Apex is user friendly but way to expensive (kinda like the iphone). RA is very customizable from what i have read but not very user friendly. At the end, im looking more into the ReefKeeper, i think it has the best of both worlds and isnt terribly expensive.

Smotz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I also have and use both.

I prefer the RA. I like to get under the hood and customize.

Nothing wrong with the apex for basic control-ability, though.

After several years of using controllers I can give some tips - skip the salinity probe. I always found them to be inaccurate. Get a refractometer.

ATO is very important. Pass on the mechanical float switches. RA uses a pressure sensitive float switch without moving parts. It's more dependable.

Last edited:

oseymour

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I chose the Apex mainly because of Apex Fusion, how easy it was to setup and monitor my tank from anywhere. It web based so no waiting for apps for each platform and no need to open ports on your router to the outside.

I did some research and it had modules to work with equipment and brands I wanted to use.

I attached a screenshot of my fusion interface

Attachments

• apex_fusion.jpg
    apex_fusion.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 180

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I chose the Apex mainly because of Apex Fusion, how easy it was to setup and monitor my tank from anywhere. It web based so no waiting for apps for each platform and no need to open ports on your router to the outside.

I did some research and it had modules to work with equipment and brands I wanted to use.

I attached a screenshot of my fusion interface

I have Kessil Lights and T5,,what does it mean when Apex tells you KESSIL ON 100%?

oseymour

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That's the color channel. 100% mean the color is all blue, 0% would mean all white.

But if you look closely you'll see the power channel is off so the lights are off. I probably have the color channel going a lot longer period but once power is off it doesn't matter.

My custom moonlights are on.

EDIT: In the picture the moonlights look bright, they are not as bright in person.

Attachments

• IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: