Burton182

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about building a water mixing station. Does anyone have any Do's and Don'ts?

I was thinking about making it with a long hose so I can just bring the hose to the tank and fill it with salt water for easier water changes. I was thinking of putting a valve at the end so i can turn it on and off as needed. Would this cause any problems with the pump because it would cause a back pressure and the water would have nowhere to go? Not sure what pump yet but maybe a pan world pump.

Also how many hours a day and how often would the saltwater need to be mixed? Could i put it on a timer and having it mixed for 30 minutes several times a day or would i be better to have a small MJ1200 to keep it moving all the time and would that be enough in like a 40-50 gallon mixing bucket?

Thanks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Here is what I did. My sump is in basement under tank. Tank is 220

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 218

Burton182

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3450500 thanks. Great setup. I checked out your tank thread and it's A+++. Congrats on the upgrade

Inevo will definitely order the uniseals

It will be for saltwater.

Any recommendations for plumbing? Is there benefits to the ace roto containers vs just the brutes? If I was to do a larger mixing station and made more saltwater then what I need how much mixing is required to keep the water fresh? Also if I had a hose and put something at the end to stop flow would it cause problems with the pump? The pump would keep pushing water but it won't have anywhere to go and just build up pressure?
Thanks everyone for the help.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
These are some of the basic things I didn't think of when I first setup 2 drums. And some things that I will do better next time.

Ensure they are raised from the ground.
Plumb them together to get RODI water from one container to the next for mixing.
Have gate valves between.
Depending on how you set them up you can use the same pump for mixing and sending saltwater to tank, as well as sending RODI water for ATO reservoir. Provided the plumbing lines has well positioned shutoff valves.
Put the bulkheads on the bottom of the barrel (yeah really, I messed this up)

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I drop a power head into the saltwater tank to mix. Gravity is what feeds the auto top off and I use hose to get saltwater to the sump when I do water changes. The brown box is a hollowed out footstool I got at Walmart had a guy make plexiglass container to hold ato water.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: