nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
I bought a used Teco TR-20 chiller, I hooked it up to a bucket of fresh water with vinegar to clean the insides before hooking it up to my DT. I encountered a problem, the alarm began to ring and the display flashed w/AL-1. The compressor shuts down after a little bit after running a few minutes. I opened up the case and noticed the compressor is hot to the touch, the fans are on pulling the hot air out. I looked up the meaning of that code in the manual and it means the filter is dirty or clogged. I cleaned the filter prior to using it but checked it just to make sure.

Does anyone have one of these chillers? And know what's wrong? Is there a reset button on these chillers? Does it need freon? Clogged heat exchanged coil? Anyone here can look at it and determine the problem?

Thanks in advance

pmoneyt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Run it in reverse with the output from the pump plumb to the out of the chiller and it should clean out anything in there.

That is how you clean a chiller.

After that fill a 5 gallon bucke with RO water to remove the vinger

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Thanks Loose tenticle, pmoneyt I ended up taking it across the bridge to a small mom and pop refrigeration place. $39 to check it out, which they will apply towards any repairs except if it just needs freon. Sounds fair hope it's just freon, and nothing else. Older gentleman looks honest, been at the same spot since I can remember. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Problem Solved

They found the problem, it was the thermostat/control panel. It has an electronic control panel with thermo protection by means of two sensors to prevent damage to the compressor. Apparently a easy fix just replace the thermostat/control panel and back in business. The panel is available direct from the manufacturer's website $95 + S/H.

The guy told me he would not fix it if it were anything else but the main components are in great condition (compressor, condenser, fans, freon). He won't work on them anymore, he's just charging me cost on part and $60 labor. Said they are disposable unit and a headache to work on, sorry guys.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: