JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Manhattan Reefs, I have a little question about my heater.

I have a 75 gallon tank with an Ehiem Jager heater on it. I got it because it is apparently aucrate. I have not seen such results. I have follewed the instructions to the letter, and have callibrated it to the highest it can go, but still the temperature does not go down. It is set to about 73 degrees, but the heater keeps my tank at around 81 degrees. I have a cooling fan that keeps it closer to 78-79 but it is loud and I need to moniter it in fear it will cool it too much. The room itself is usually around 69 degrees F.

So mt questions are:
Am I doing something wrong? Is there some mistake I am doing when i calibrate it?
Should I just return it?
What else can I do to fix this?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Edit: I am sorry if this sounded confusing. The way this heater works is there are 2 dials. One dial is used for calibration. You put it on the actual temperature, and adjust the other dial so the number the top dial is pointing to the temp. you want. It is annoying and still somewhat confusing.

Last edited:

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
to the highest it can go, but still the temperature does not go down.
Highest it can go ? And your trying to lower it ?
It is set to about 73 degrees, but the heater keeps my tank at around 81 degrees.
When you turn the dial does the temperature change?

I have a cooling fan that keeps it closer to 78-79 but it is loud and I need to moniter it in fear it will cool it too much. The room itself is usually around 69 degrees F.
Again are you trying to cool or heat if your heating it then why are you trying to cool it?

If the temperature does not change when you turn the dial then it's malfunctioning you should return it and get another just because this one is broken it doesn't mean they all are I personally would spend a little more and get a better heater but thats me

JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appalogise if it sounded confusing. When i said i dialed it the highest it could go, i was refering to the calibration dial, which is supposed to be set to the actual temperature, but can only go up or down 2 defrees. I am trying to cool it down.

JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does go off once it reaches around 81 degrees. Also i dont think I am turming it the wrong way. The calibration dial goes up and the actual, temp. One goes down.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
IME a heater is not something to leave to chance. Replace it if you either can't trust it or don't understand it. To use 1 thing that heats water and another that cools water simultaneously is rediculous,,no offense.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Are you sure it's the heater going on that's heating the tank and not your return pump, skimmer, lighting, etc. ?
Dial in the heater in a bucket, so you're not waiting all day for 75 gallons of water to change temp, or cooking the tank

Finicky heaters are the #1 reason i have a digital aquatics controller

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I would suggest regardless of what you do that you get a separate temp controller, whether you use a dedicated one ($40-$110 ) or a full blown Apex or ReefKeeper. Redundancy is key and thermostats can fail too easily.
Yup. have seen a few tanks get cooked by heaters. Cheap insurance is the way i see it, and much more accurate to boot

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
turn heater off untill tank reaches 78, turn heater on so its heating, now turn down slowly till it turns off. now monitor temp and adjust slowly till it maintains 78.
this is how i always adjusted heaters, i dont go by heater numbers.
if you use a controller turn heater 1 deg higher then controller.

Reefcowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Eheim heaters are all over the place out of the box. Ive owned many and guarantee if you take 5 new ones from a store all of them will be off even after calibration. People like them because they heat lots of gallons for their wattage, and are cheap.

There are however cheap heaters that do a great job being more accurate. The Aqueon Pro's are excellent, and very affordable.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: