Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Hey guys just looking for some advice on a MH setup. I purchased a used light to run over my frag tank. After checking with a Par meter it doesnt seem to be running the Phoenix 14k 150w DE bulb i bought for it to full potential. So long story short can anyone recommend something that will work. The frag tank is only 15g tank and 12" deep.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
What type of my unit and ballast do you have? How is the reflector..... Is it clean, or kind of hazy?

Maybe try a 10k bulb and see what you get... Also could be a bad par meter. Just see how your corals react to it.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
It's an older model odysea 18" unit with 2 14w t5 and the 150w mh. The reflector seems in good shape. It's been running over the tank for a few weeks now and most of the corals have lost color because I had the light 15" above the water line which showed 30par at the bottom. It could be a bad meter it was rented from LFS. This is why I was looking for some suggestions on a new reflector/ballast.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
It's an older model odysea 18" unit with 2 14w t5 and the 150w mh. The reflector seems in good shape. It's been running over the tank for a few weeks now and most of the corals have lost color because I had the light 15" above the water line which showed 30par at the bottom. It could be a bad meter it was rented from LFS. This is why I was looking for some suggestions on a new reflector/ballast.

That explains it

House

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
got a pic? 30 par at the bottom is like an incandescent light bulb. Your tank would appear very dim.

First pic was when the light was about 15" about the tank and second pic is now i have since put all the frags in DT to help bring them back to health, but the light is 6" from water line. TBH even at 15" off the water it was very bright didnt feel dime at all.

Attachments

• 20151208_164147.jpg
    20151208_164147.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 20160131_094833[1].jpg
    20160131_094833[1].jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 196

gobywon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I agree with reefi on the ballast. I seem to remember that upon testing, some of the old mh ballasts from those guys didn't pull the proper amount of current even when new. So if you want to keep the unit you should probably replace the ballast.

gobywon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Well I'm sure they have improved over the years. The aquatraders site has new ones for $60. If you want a better brand like hamilton you'll pay twice as much. You could ask for one in the wanted section and see what you get someone might have one kicking around. I'm sure if you get that bulb running properly it'll be great for growing frags. I run the 175's and am very happy with them. Good luck.....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: