DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Since I have been out of the reefing game for a few years, I need some help. I am leaning towards a Red Sea Reefer 350 and need to know what people are currently running regarding lights, skimmer and pumps/wavemakers?
I plan on doing minimalistic style with the rock and more fish/inverts along with zoas and other soft corals. I tried SPS in my prior tanks and it never worked out, so likely will not have much in this tank build either.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you in advance

(was going to get new Red Sea E-Series, but think the Reefer is nicer)

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
I told you Reefer is better than E Series. I picked up the 250 last week. I have 2 ecotech Radion Pro Gen 3 for lights. Waveline dc 6000 return pump. Mp40qd for flow. I had vertex 170i but sold it because too big. Went with NYOS 120. You can go with the nyos 160. Just read on skimmer depth waterline on the 350 before purchasing skimmer.
Neptune Apex gold. Avast k1 kalk stirrer. Tunze Osmolator ATO because the Ato yuo get with reefer too small. I also got a Pax Bellum Arid reactor but prob wint use. Too big from my old build.

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I told you Reefer is better than E Series. I picked up the 250 last week. I have 2 ecotech Radion Pro Gen 3 for lights. Waveline dc 6000 return pump. Mp40qd for flow. I had vertex 170i but sold it because too big. Went with NYOS 120. You can go with the nyos 160. Just read on skimmer depth waterline on the 350 before purchasing skimmer.
Neptune Apex gold. Avast k1 kalk stirrer. Tunze Osmolator ATO because the Ato yuo get with reefer too small. I also got a Pax Bellum Arid reactor but prob wint use. Too big from my old build.

Thanks! Will check all that stuff out now

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Alot of LED guys go for the AI Hydras 26s and 52s. A good bud of mine swears by the Hydra 26s. Has 3 of them in 6ft tank. Lps mostly. Kessils 360 are also popular. Lots of people love them fir the shimmer they give off. Im a radion ecotech guy.

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
I used to have the photon 48 on my 75g. It was a great light but i just dont think it will fit in with the lines of RSR 350. Its bulky as RSR is sleek rimless. When i switched from Photon to Radion wow what a difference. Its a good light but dont see it fit for this tank in my opinion.

debbythefowler

bona-fide REEF NUT
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Just curious, why would Branespikin (specifically) recommend Kalk if this guy says he's not going to have SPS? Where would you make the dotted line on a tank this size between 2/3 part dosing vs. kalk? (I have a 180 display, 40 gallon sump) where I've begun to supplement the Kalk with ALK-dosing - having found that i don't have enough evaporation to support the dripping ..... (I apologize for semi-hijacking this thread)

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Just curious, why would Branespikin (specifically) recommend Kalk if this guy says he's not going to have SPS? Where would you make the dotted line on a tank this size between 2/3 part dosing vs. kalk? (I have a 180 display, 40 gallon sump) where I've begun to supplement the Kalk with ALK-dosing - having found that i don't have enough evaporation to support the dripping ..... (I apologize for semi-hijacking this thread)

No apology needed, the more input and info I get the better.

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0

What is the NYOS 120 and 160?

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0

He was asking about Light advice so i gave him light advice from what i experienced and my thoughts. The rest was just a list of things i have setup on my tank so he can compare. I am not recommending a kalk stirrer for his tank. Just listing my euipment.

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
What is the NYOS 120 and 160?

Nyos 120 is skimmer and the 160 is just a step up for heavier bioload. Only heard good things about them. They look teally nice too. I had the Vertex 130 before too. Excellent skimmer and quality build. Sold it in a package deal with tank. Would of used it on this build but got great deal and was highly recommended by a friend so decided to try it out.

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
If hes not going to have SPs or huge calcium consumption i would assume a kalk stirrer would be best. Not Calcium Reactor! I plan on hooking my Kalk Stirrer filled with kalkwasser to my tunze ATO to keep my parameters stable. I think 2 part is not neccessary if he does not have high demand for calcium etc. I am LPS guy. Might throw in a stick or two.

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Yeah there are alot if lights out there. Do your homework and hopefully you will find something you like.
BTW these tanks are heavy more the cabinet than the tank so be sure to have some help

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Yeah there are alot if lights out there. Do your homework and hopefully you will find something you like.
BTW these tanks are heavy more the cabinet than the tank so be sure to have some help

Local Fish store I am going to order it from is nice enough to help me with getting it into my house!
I see the ecotech lights and they look real nice, just gotta find out if I need 1 or 2 and power, etc.

Trying to do as much research as possible. Thanks again.

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
You will definetly need 2 lights on 4 ft tank. One covers 2ft. I had 2 light on my 4 ft 75 g tank and it was perfect. Im putting 2 on my 3ft tank. Overkill with these lights but what the heck i got 2 might aswell hang them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: