reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Hello all, so I flooded my tank stand again last night while filling up my ATO container so i figure i need to come up with a better solution for this.

My set up right now is a 10 gallon tank under my stand which i use for ATO water and when i need to fill it, i just put the outlet from the RO directly into there and come back about 1.5 hours later when the water level is about 2 inches from the top.

What I would like to do is put a float valve in the 10 gallon tank and have a way to put a quick disconnect fitting which will allow me to connect the RO tubing to the float valve while its filling, then when it finishes filling i would be able to disconnect the tubing and put it back into my closet while leaving the float valve in the ATO tank.

The problem is Im not sure the fitting im looking for even exists... has anyone seen something like that?

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
They have those auto shut off kits for RODI units with a float valve. You might be able to hook one up to your ATO container.

Yeah, thats the plan, but what im looking for is some sort of quick disconnect like you find on air compressor tubing. Because I have trouble connecting and disconnecting those merlock push connect fittings.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
So are mine... :( maybe ill just look into getting an apex ALD module and just have it make noise and text me when i forget about it, which will prevent me from having to bail out an inch or more of water from my stand.

clasystems

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Change to compression fittings if you dont like the guest fittings. Ive used both, plus and minus for each. I use a float valve on my topoff container. I believe kent makes a small one but there are many options.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Would put one of these from the ro unit so you can shut off the water when you disconnect. Also works as a disconnect, that is somewhat mobile, and not up against the side of your ato bucket.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-lok-ro-inline-ball-valve-push-connect.html

As well would put one of these, after that valve, on the ato bucket side, that would stay connected to bucket when you disconnect ro. It's a one way valve, that will keep water from coming out of your bucket, and also can be used as disconnect.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-lok-inline-check-valve-1-4-x-1-4-push-connect.html

Your ro unit should have one of these plumbed in so that it turns off the ro unit/waste water when the float valve, or the inline ball valve i posted above is off. Your unit might already have one, or the float valve you buy might come with one. It's a good idea to change it for a new one whenever you change your membrane.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-4-auto-shut-off-valve.html

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: