DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Wanted to see what is the best option for an in sump skimmer for my new build? Vertex, NYOS, or any brand really?
Decent bioload along with LPS and Softie corals
Fish and inverts galore

Thanks in advance

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
I had purchased a Vertex Alpha 170 it had the red dragon pump when i bought my equipment for thr RSR 450. I just sold it recently to another member here and he is very happy with it.

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I had purchased a Vertex Alpha 170 it had the red dragon pump when i bought my equipment for thr RSR 450. I just sold it recently to another member here and he is very happy with it.

Thanks for fast reply and info!

I am considering the Vertex 180i as well as the RLSS R6i
Wanna do as much research as possible before pulling the trigger. How is your tank doing?

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Vertex skimmers are made of really good quality. I had 130 on my 75g tank it was great. I got a nyos 120 now. Didnt get my tank up and running yet. Almost there

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 507

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
personally and i have used alot of skimmers the atb 840 would be a perfect fit and is probably the best balanced skimmer out, the vertex 180 would be decent also but would need a pump upgrade.

Eric79

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just got the new reef life support systems R5-I and I can tell you that it is a beast. Working flawlessly and build quality is top notch. I was looking at the vertex omega but saw so many reviews about them over flowing which was the problem I was having with my cadlights skimmer.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I just got the new reef life support systems R5-I and I can tell you that it is a beast. Working flawlessly and build quality is top notch. I was looking at the vertex omega but saw so many reviews about them over flowing which was the problem I was having with my cadlights skimmer.
Would bet those vortex skimmer overflows were because of the adjustable air valve on the venturi. Turned out is closed, turned in is open seems backwards, but the way it works. Also think most people think less air is going to lower the water level but the opposite is true. They use italian made Sicce pumps that have a long standing great reputation, and they'r beasts. So much so it's probably a good thing they have air intake control to dial back so you don't strip the water of nutrients completely. They're also unbelievably quiet, comparatively speaking.

Think reef octopus is the best bang for your buck on the market these days and their regal and elite lines are a bit more expensive but are offered with adjustable dc powered pumps.

Personally, for that tank would go with reef octopus classic 225 int, or classic 202 space saver. With either one you'll get a whole lota skimmer in a small footprint for under 400. Check linky
https://fragtasticreef.com/filtrati...ef-octopus/reef-octopus-classic-needle-wheel/

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Vertex don't come with sedra pumps no more. Or at least the omega series don't. Sicce is a big upgrade over sedra in realabilty, noise, heat, and output.

Last edited:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Dr. Cooper, what'd you end up with? I agree that Sicce pumps are better than Sedra, having owned both.

I'm slowly going to setup a 90 gallon, and that's why I'm curious, but I've had a nano-sized tank for the past few years, and feel like I'm out of the skimmer-loop.

What's the new and exciting skimmer now?

Lee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have a NYOS 160 on my 90G tank with 35G sump and this skimmer is AWESOME! I have had many skimmers since the 1980's wooden diffuser days. This skimmer is by far the quietest skimmer I have ever seen/heard and it pulls lots of black smelly skim-mate

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I have a NYOS 160 on my 90G tank with 35G sump and this skimmer is AWESOME! I have had many skimmers since the 1980's wooden diffuser days. This skimmer is by far the quietest skimmer I have ever seen/heard and it pulls lots of black smelly skim-mate

Those look like nice skimmers but they're not cheap by any means. $500 is a lot for the 160.

By the way, I have a tunze 9004 on my midi and love it. The skimmer is very quiet and produces a ton.

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Bubble king 160 mini pulls out some nasty stuff. Set it and forget it. Haven't touched it in months. Only to clean cup.
You are goin to get 100 different options on this thread.
Good luck picking the best one for your set up. I purchased 5 skimmer in less than a year until I found the one that works best for my set up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: