Mcardle2012

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just purchased a used ati fixture . I want to know my mounting options . All I see is hanging . I would prefer to put it on the tank . Would also like to know bulb configuration opinions . Thanks guys

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have the same fixture and Run 4 blue plus 2 coral plus. I think I am going to swap out one of the blue plus for a 50/50 blue plus coral plus combo. Recently I reached out to BigE on RC. He was kind enough to take the time to give me this explination on bulb combos. If you check out his tank thread you will see he has quite the T5 lit SPS tank.

"I would use the 50/50 combo. Start with the blue+ in front. If you're used to a bluer tank it may take a little getting used to, but these two bulbs cover the complete spectrum from approx 400-590, so every pigment's needs is in these two bulbs.

If you want more of a bluer look you can go 4 blue+ and 2 coral+. Run them 2 Blue+ in front and then alternate them.

If you like more of the purple you can run two actinics one front and one back.

These are just options for visual pop........for the corals B+ and Coral+ is all that's needed.

Anything else you do outside of these two bulbs is strictly for visual aesthetics. Usually when more blue is added it's going to make green, orange and yellow pop a bit more.
When adding supplements your working to get reflective pop from usually the chromo proteins.

The other thing that's important is that coral pigments and chromo proteins from different acros all have different spectrum and intensity needs. I run only those two bulbs because they cover all spectrum needs with good intensity. Since my spectrum is consistent across the whole tank I only have to find the right height(intensity) to place the coral for best color.

If you run more blue- purple it will satisfy your eyes on the ambient look, but the corals don't need or want that. It comes down to a trade off...........do you want the colors in the corals or just splash some colored lights on them? More blue/purple light will give you more fluorescence in orange, yellow, and green mostly, but if you overdue it, it's at the expense of visually washing out reds and to some extent purple and blue."

BigE I hope you dont mind that I shared this, I dont think you will.

Credit:BigE

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: