jose102173

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could only have a footprint 3.5"x5.5". DT is a 30 gallon cube with 700 gph glass-holes overflow. Sump is a Eshopps nano cube refugium. Any recommendation on a return pump? How GPH should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Jose

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You have to figure in head pressure. How tall is tank measured to the rim?
You want 4-6x the display with head pressure figured in. 30 gal X 5 =150gph. It pays to buy a good return pump. Eheim makes some, low heat, last forever.
Eheim.GIF

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Head pressure is important factor, but with those dimensions your options are limited.
I would only recommend Ehiem or Sicce.

Take a look at the Ehiem compact 2000 or the 3000.

Or the newer Sicce silent 1.5/2.0/3.0

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Head pressure is important factor, but with those dimensions your options are limited.
I would only recommend Ehiem or Sicce.

Take a look at the Ehiem compact 2000 or the 3000.

Or the newer Sicce silent 1.5/2.0/3.0

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Ocean runner is a good option too, but not sure about a size match

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
you need a pump that can handle the 700gph over flow plus head. with a gate valve to dial it back if needed.
700gph is not even close to what should be recommended. Plus with a valve to cut flow it's anyones guess as to how many gph, and why put a bigger pump that makes more heat just to restrict the flow

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
700gph is not even close to what should be recommended. Plus with a valve to cut flow it's anyones guess as to how many gph, and why put a bigger pump that makes more heat just to restrict the flow

if over flow is dumping 700gph, you better have a pump that can handle it or you will have a flood or over flow will be noisey. if your returning more water then over flow can handle you will have a flood or noisey over flow, the reason for the valve. i would say most people gate their return pumps, i did.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
if over flow is dumping 700gph, you better have a pump that can handle it or you will have a flood or over flow will be noisey. if your returning more water then over flow can handle you will have a flood or noisey over flow, the reason for the valve. i would say most people gate their return pumps, i did.
It works the other way around. The pump determines how much goes back down the overflow.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0

Yes, this is very inaccurate. Your overflow is automatically downregulated by your return pump and the water it can push back up to the display. You need to make sure your overflow is rated for at least what your return pump is returning but preferably higher.

For example, you can have an over flow rated for 1000 gph and a return rated for 1gph at your head pressure. You will effectively be circling 1 gph through your sump.

If on the other hand you have an overflow rated at 1gph and a return pump rated at 1000gph at your goven head pressure. You will effectovely be overflowing 999gph over the rim of your display and onto the floor as your overflow is only able to bring 1gph back to your sump. With this scenario, your ato will pump into your sump until your ato is empty which will drop your salinity. You will eventually have an equilibrium reached after your pump is running pretty much dry and is returning the 1gph back into your display as it is drained through the overflow.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Yes, this is very inaccurate. Your overflow is automatically downregulated by your return pump and the water it can push back up to the display. You need to make sure your overflow is rated for at least what your return pump is returning but preferably higher.

For example, you can have an over flow rated for 1000 gph and a return rated for 1gph at your head pressure. You will effectively be circling 1 gph through your sump.

If on the other hand you have an overflow rated at 1gph and a return pump rated at 1000gph at your goven head pressure. You will effectovely be overflowing 999gph over the rim of your display and onto the floor as your overflow is only able to bring 1gph back to your sump. With this scenario, your ato will pump into your sump until your ato is empty which will drop your salinity. You will eventually have an equilibrium reached after your pump is running pretty much dry and is returning the 1gph back into your display as it is drained through the overflow.
we are on the same page, just worded differant.
if pump cant keep up with overflow it will drain alot of air and make noise.
if the over flow cant keep up with pump you will need a mop.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
we are on the same page, just worded differant.
if pump cant keep up with overflow it will drain alot of air and make noise.
if the over flow cant keep up with pump you will need a mop.
The pump doesn't keep up with the overflow, the overflow keeps up with the pump. If you're at the top of the range of what your overflow can handle, the overflow is more prone to make noise. Not the pump. If you pump in more water than your overflow can handle, it's not the noise you have to worry about, it's the flood. Considering he should be no higher than 200 gph with his 30g display, and his overflow can handle 700 gph, neither is an issue. As long as the return pump is within range of what it's max head pressure is, it shouldn't make any more noise than what is normal for that pump. If it does it's an issue unrelated to the overflow

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
you don't agree that if you go close to the max of what the overflow can handle it is more likely to make noise, or that a bigger pump makes more heat? 700 gph going throu sump on a 30gal display is silly. A pump making noise if it's not close to the max of what an overflow is rated is simply not true.. I Was only trying to share some knowledge.
If you don't want to listen to me, maybe google? https://www.google.com/webhp?source...UTF-8#q=recommended gph return pump reef tank

Have a nice day

Last edited:

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Size your return pump by how much water you want to put through your sump. Using a return pump as a circulation pump is misguided. For the most part you only want a small volume of water to go through your sump per hour. Your skimmer will only handle so much, a fuge doesn't need heavy flow nor does any reactors. Having a river flow through your sump is wasting electricity, making your tank warmer, making your skimmer and any reactors less efficient and making your drain much louder.

Your best bet is to figure out the volume of water that can be effectively treated in your sump per hour and size your return pump that way.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: