lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am planning to install my return plumbing soon.

Set up
75 gallon tank, with cpr cs102 overflow and jebao dct8000 return. Please note that return line will run off the back of the tank, this is a glass box non reef ready.

Simple Return question (totally plumbing newbie here):

- Shall i use 3/4" soft tubing out of the return pump then into 1" pvc going up into the tank?

OR

- Shall i run 1" soft tubing out of the return pump then into 3/4" pvc going up into the tank?

so in simple terms do i need to keep diameter consistent across the return line? pump is dc so i get to adjust flow in increments.

let me know if you need me to elaborate more on anything.
thx for helping

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Just reduce it to whatever you need from the pump. Get a 1.5" FTP (threaded) to slip adapter from HD/Lowes then a reducer bushing from 1.5" to whatever size and connection you need. This will screw onto the output threads of the pump and allow you to plumb however you like back up to the tank.

Last edited:

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Please i have all the equipment i need, do not try to pm me to selling me gear. I am asking for advise, if i need gear there are specific sites for that.

Now for the reply, thanks, the return pump has a threaded connection with a cone that can accommodate from 1.5" to 3/4" tubing so no parts needed. Here is what i think i may need:

- Brainded nylon 1" on the pump outlet
- barb fitting to fit the braided tube into a pvc 45 degrees wide bender conduit (raduis elbow)
- straight pvc glued to the other end of the 45 degree conduit
then straight up with elbows to the tank

But again should i keep diameter consistent? or can i narrow it down to like 3/4" in the straight pvc pipe?

thx

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i have 3/4 return 1'' to sump i would use a pvc shut off some where on the return line to control flow also a union in case you need to fix anything.

ok so it is fine to have 1" drains and 3/4" return. The return elbow will just be below water surface so no need to have shut off. Also the return pump is dc so i can manually play with the flow

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Its normal to have bigger drains then returns as drains are not pressurized. Also with that overflow you are going to want to use an aqualifter pump to ensure continuous siphon.
Def want an aqualifter or other means to keep air out of overflow, which could stop the overflow from functioning. Also should use black air hose to reduce algae growth in there, and clean that pump every 6mos or so to ensure it's not going to clog

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Def want an aqualifter or other means to keep air out of overflow, which could stop the overflow from functioning. Also should use black air hose to reduce algae growth in there, and clean that pump every 6mos or so to ensure it's not going to clog

the version of cpor overflow i got is the deluxe so it comes with aqualifter pump standard, thanks for the thought

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Get one of these
http://www.marinedepot.com/U_Tube_w...WsCCeQyFLYGxXXy40nXouPV0mfDZSPexz4hoCacfw_wcB

They also make a bracket that fits this ^ and clips onto your tank's rim.
3/4 is plenty. Any more and the pump is pushing more water weight and will slow flow.
Drill a siphon break just below tanks water level to avoid floods. Much more reliable than a check valve and free

i saw that tube but it sticks like 3 inches or so below the water line which is something i dont want, i would rather have an elbow that i will only submerge like an inch or so to avoid siphoning back into the sump. thx

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
i saw that tube but it sticks like 3 inches or so below the water line which is something i dont want, i would rather have an elbow that i will only submerge like an inch or so to avoid siphoning back into the sump. thx
Prob under 2', and you can lift the tube for less if you want.

pvc or u tube, you should drill a 1/4" or so hole, just below water line to act as siphon break

Last edited:

clasystems

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i always use the biggest drain lines I can fit as well as the biggest return lines. Its way easier to dial down flow with a valve then to ramp it up without to much water velocity getting into the tank. Also on return you want to reduce in the direction of the water flow, this way you can maintain pressure. Reverse goes for drains.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
i always use the biggest drain lines I can fit as well as the biggest return lines. Its way easier to dial down flow with a valve then to ramp it up without to much water velocity getting into the tank. Also on return you want to reduce in the direction of the water flow, this way you can maintain pressure. Reverse goes for drains.

For a drain sure, bigger is safer and quieter. Gravity fed 3/4 tubing, with out any major bends or obstacles will handle a max of around 650 gph. That's with fully submerged siphon, less if air is going down with the water as it does with cpr, and most overflows' plumbing designs.

For return, that same 3/4 tubing can handle around 1400 gph when it's coming off a pump. More if the pressure is greater. Go bigger on return line and you only add weight to the head and will reduce your gph for the same amount of heat and energy used. No makie sense.

So on a 75 gal that should be looking for around 3- 400 gph going throu sump, 1/2 tubing can handle twice that. Would go with 5/8 hose and call it good.

Last edited:

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
My set ups

My plumbing

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 82

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: