DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
hey guys, I currently have an icecap k2-120 skimmer. I have a 50g heavily stocked tank with a 20g sump. mixed reef. what's a better skimmer to use? something with a small footprint because my sump isn't that big

a72859272b7a2a1b5538af6f19493805.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm comparing reef octo, aquamaxx, and bubble magus.

should add vertex omega to the list. All good skimmers on your list.
Reef octopus best bang for buck
Vertex hard to dial in, once dialed very stable.
Bubble magus imo over prices for what you get, Atleast they don't use Altman pumps anymore, that was a disaster. They still however undersize their pumps, so you'll need 9.5 to 11" of water level for it to sit in.

Personally would either go ro, or vertex

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
should add vertex omega to the list. All good skimmers on your list.
Reef octopus best bang for buck
Vertex hard to dial in, once dialed very stable.
Bubble magus imo over prices for what you get, Atleast they don't use Altman pumps anymore, that was a disaster. They still however undersize their pumps, so you'll need 9.5 to 11" of water level for it to sit in.

Personally would either go ro, or vertex
I'm gonna tweak this one a few more times and then see if I wanna change it. my funds are running low so need to make some smart decisions.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Oh, sorry, missed the part where you have ice cap is 120. Decent skimmer. What's the problem? Aside from it being a lil large for your set up. What return pump you have?
Post a pic of your sump

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Oh, sorry, missed the part where you have ice cap is 120. Decent skimmer. What's the problem? Aside from it being a lil large for your set up. What return pump you have?
Post a pic of your sump
I actually thought it was too small. hmmmmmm..specs say 75g light bioload. and as I've read, mfrs usually exaggerate the tank size. so I'm guessing 40g?

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Post a pic of your sump
it will only fill-up about 1/10th of that cup with dark skimmate, then usually will follow with a lot of clear or very light colored skimmate. which is weird

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Sounds like what happens when skimmer is too deep in water.
Take the whole skimmer, put it in 50/50 ro water and white distilled vinegar and let run for 24 hours. Then take out motor impeller and closely inspect the impeller and the cavity in motor where it spins.
Clean the white and black parts of Venturi well because.....if the Venturi doesn't slide all the way down toward motor it will cut down on the amount of air pulled in, therefore the amount of bubbles produced. Also make sure there's nothing in the air tubing, or the black part of the Venturi where the air passes through.
See in your sump the drain from tank is on opposite side of where the skimmer pump draws water. That a good thing because air bubbles making it into pump's draw will cause it to fluctuate. But think you should turn the skimmer 1/4 turn clockwise so skimmer output is closer to tanks drain. That will cut down on turbulence near where the skimmer pump pulls water and may offer more steady operation.
Wait like 24 hours between adjustments
A big enough skimmer is a good thing. But if too big for demands at some point the tank stops getting cleaner, and instead there's not enough proteins to clump together, float to top, and skimmer stops collecting dark stinky skimate.
If you make up your mind that you want a new skimmer...If you like a rock steady skimmer I present to you the vertex omega.

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Sounds like what happens when skimmer is too deep in water.
Take the whole skimmer, put it in 50/50 ro water and white distilled vinegar and let run for 24 hours. Then take out motor impeller and closely inspect the impeller and the cavity in motor where it spins.
Clean the white and black parts of Venturi well because.....if the Venturi doesn't slide all the way down toward motor it will cut down on the amount of air pulled in, therefore the amount of bubbles produced. Also make sure there's nothing in the air tubing, or the black part of the Venturi where the air passes through.
See in your sump the drain from tank is on opposite side of where the skimmer pump draws water. That a good thing because air bubbles making it into pump's draw will cause it to fluctuate. But think you should turn the skimmer 1/4 turn clockwise so skimmer output is closer to tanks drain. That will cut down on turbulence near where the skimmer pump pulls water and may offer more steady operation.
Wait like 24 hours between adjustments
A big enough skimmer is a good thing. But if too big for demands at some point the tank stops getting cleaner, and instead there's not enough proteins to clump together, float to top, and skimmer stops collecting dark stinky skimate.
If you make up your mind that you want a new skimmer...If you like a rock steady skimmer I present to you the vertex omega.
hmmmm.. I never knew about how the skimmer faces makes a difference. the drain is in the same compartment (left side) as where skimmer is, and the return pump is in the middle of sump. so you said have the skimmer port face more towards drain so it gets the water right away? or actually move it away from drain ? I'll message you so we can talk better

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The skimmer in first chamber with drain from tank is a good thing. It gives the skimmer first chance at the dirtiest water.
Not sure what you're saying. If you turn the skimmer 1/4 turn clock wise...
Than not only will the skimmer pump's intake be away from the tank drain pipe as it is now,but the skimmer output will be closer to the drain and will both be away from the pump intake, as well as far away from the water that leaves the chamber. Less air bubbles and turbulence should make the skimmer more steady.
Sometimes ppl misunderstand that more air going into Venturi makes the water level inside skimmer lower. With more bubbles but lower. Just take the air intake hose and stick it under water and you'll see what I mean.
To me the most air you can get into the mix through the Venturi, and than adjust level inside skimmer with output valve is in most cases the best you can do.
If I were you I'd start from scratch. Put the cleaned skimmer right in the middle of the recommended water level, give a day in between adjustments to try to dial it in. If after some time you can't get it dialed than I'd try this mod...
Get a short piece of tubing that fits over the Venturi where the water enters. The longer the distance from where the air tubing tee's in, to the end of the pipe where the water enters, the more air that will get pulled into skimmer. A lil bit will make a big difference. Again, the more air that goes in, the lower the water level will get, so the more closed the output will have to be to get desired skimate.

Last edited:

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
The skimmer in first chamber with drain from tank is a good thing. It gives the skimmer first chance at the dirtiest water.
Not sure what you're saying. If you turn the skimmer 1/4 turn clock wise...
Than not only will the skimmer pump's intake be away from the tank drain pipe as it is now,but the skimmer output will be closer to the drain and will both be away from the pump intake, as well as far away from the water that leaves the chamber. Less air bubbles and turbulence should make the skimmer more steady.
Sometimes ppl misunderstand that more air going into Venturi makes the water level inside skimmer lower. With more bubbles but lower. Just take the air intake hose and stick it under water and you'll see what I mean.
To me the most air you can get into the mix through the Venturi, and than adjust level inside skimmer with output valve is in most cases the best you can do.
If I were you I'd start from scratch. Put the cleaned skimmer right in the middle of the recommended water level, give a day in between adjustments to try to dial it in. If after some time you can't get it dialed than I'd try this mod...
Get a short piece of tubing that fits over the Venturi where the water enters. The longer the distance from where the air tubing tee's in, to the end of the pipe where the water enters, the more air that will get pulled into skimmer. A lil bit will make a big difference. Again, the more air that goes in, the lower the water level will get, so the more closed the output will have to be to get desired skimate.
thanks !! I'll give it a try

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: