Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been FOWLR for a few years - I do have a couple of rose anemones I've had for about 15 years (lots of clones from them). I've been in the hobby for 45 years (dang), and we aren't around as much, so we made things less complicated and got rid of the SPS.

Lighting has been a pair of 72" VHO bulbs, which has been just fine (one actinic). But it's time to buy new bulbs, and they run off of a 660W ballast. Seems to me there might be a better solution? They consume about $30 in electricity a month, and the bulbs, by the time I get them, is about $100.

Is there a decent, inexpensive LED fixture/fixtures that would be a good replacement? I don't care about timers, sunsets, or any of that stuff. Just a simple on/off switch is fine.

Thanks for any advice!

Bill

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Welcome to the site Bill

I'd probably do something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVO-Quad-72...x-3W-180-cm-/111318716570?hash=item19eb1cd09a
I know you said you don't care about times. This light can work with or without the intergraded timer, and they come as an added option. You'd need 2 for the light I linked, and imo makes life easier and is worth it.
There's many versions of the "beamswork" lights. If you look around at different models, for your tank, would recommend you go 3 watt led bulbs, and you make sure it's not a plant or freshwater wavelength.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Meat. That looks perfect. Our local club is a bit inactive, and I found this one from lighting reviews. I grew up in NJ, and worked at what was, at the time, the 2nd largest fish store in the US. Long time ago!

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I use marineland LED on my Fowler and it does the trick. You can do 1 4ft and 1 3ft. They have timers and are pretty inexpensive
Don't know this for sure but would speculate that beamswork is the same exact light, made in the same exact way, with the same exact bulbs. Just without the marinland medallion, for a fraction the price. Can say I have the beamswork working for years without issue

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: