Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey Guys:

I got a "new" used tank. It was installed, I filled with water, added sand. When I tested the overflow the bulkhead somehow came loose. All I have is a channel lock wrench AND I am injured and fat so I can't get under the stand to tighten it. I have a friend helping but we are having ZERO luck. Anyone have any suggestions or on the UWS and willing to earn themselves some karma points?

We already cut away more of the styro board to try to get better access. I really need help here...

Attachments

• bulkhead.jpg
    bulkhead.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 189

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
chances are you're going to need to drain out the overflow box and clean around the bulkhead so it sits on the glass nicely. I would say the reason you are having trouble is because a pieces of sand or small shell or something got in between the glass and the bulkhead washer which will pretty much prevent you from getting a good seal.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
i didnt even know they made special tools, I just used channel locks. I think i put the channel locks on the nut and held onto the threads of the bulkhead tight enough that my hand may have begun to bleed. haha.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I am incredibly frustrated right now... I have in injury that prevents me from doing pretty much anything. I even called a guy that does maintenance that I have been helping for the last year and asked for help and he hd his worker tell me he will call me back...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I use channel locks as well. Like other have said, you are very likely need to drain the whole thing to clean up around the bulk head. With a clean seal, you don't even need to have it tighten. The water pressure itself, along with the gasket would seal it shut.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Figured out the problem. My friends while moving cracked the bulkhead. Took it off and it fell apart into two pieces in my hand. Now to find a new one.

Attachments

• broken1.jpg
    broken1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 151
  • broken2.jpg
    broken2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 151

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
You need to be very careful/gentle with these Life Guard brand ABS bulkheads. They crack very easily if overtightened. Schedule 80 bulkheads are best but your glass holes need to be drilled for them since they tend to run a bit bigger.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Let me see if I can get someone to go. I have mobility issues (recovering from a serious injury to my feet) Thanks for the lead on Manhattan Aquariums! I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, I will see if my wife is willing to make a stop.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Got a buddy to help. Coated the inside of the hose with silicone before putting it on, let it set for 30 minutes and poured 5 gallons into the overflow. Nice and dry. Will start up the pump tomorrow after I have had a chance to mix up the remaining 10 gallons of water. Thanks a lot for suggesting Manhattan Aquarium! I still had to change the design a little by using a piece of PVC instead of a barbed fitting, but it worked just as good!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: