Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I eventually want to get a Neptune controller. Will the Apex Jr do?

I want to control:

1. Chiller
2. Heater
3. ATO
4. Doser
5. Calcium Reactor
6. Would be nice to be able to cut off pumps for feeding

Thoughts?

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Jr only comes with a 4 outlet power bar which is also the brain itself. You will need to add another power bar either 4 or 8 outlet and a PH probe + PM1 module to monitor and control the calcium reactor.
At that price point, you might as well get the Apex classic kit.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Also looked into it a bit more and the Jr does not include WiFi, which is a must for me. I am not about to run Cat 6 from one side of my living room to the other. (I did that for a living for MANY years and no way of doing it without cables showing) So I will just wait until there is another sale, right now they are at $550. (Plus, I need to save up for it, have had a TOUGH year with lots of unexpected expenses!)

Thanks!

rich

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I would get the new one because the trident will only work with the new model when it comes out next year, TRIDENT (Alk, Cal, Mag) Monitoring Device - Neptune Systems

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
But if you're not planning on the trident I would consider buying a classic second hand. I'm thinking there will be a bunch of classic units hitting the markets over the next year due to the trident coming out for the new apex and many people wanting that unit.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The Trident is sure to be expensive... While I would love it I don't foresee buying it anytime soon. The Classic is $550 the new one is $800 (on BRS). I don't have the money for either right now... Will have to see what happens.

nano

don't fear the reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
On a budget, you can use the Jr. and later add another eb4 or eb8 when you have the money (both of which will likely easily be available used when anxious Trident customers upgrade to the new system). You just won't be able to do the everything you listed right away, but you'll be set for an easy upgrade to add more outlets. I'm assuming the Trident is not in your plans.

A nice thing about the eb4 is that all 4 are mechanical relays, so you don't have to worry about what devices you control with it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: