Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Hey All,

So got this tank built from a friend of a friend. Before you say "I told you so" hear me out. The tank looks great. Exactly how I wanted, built exact size and specs. Not a scratch on delivery. Price to die for.

I am new to this whole clear silicone game and I know its harder to accomplish cleanly, but I wanted the whole floating reef look without splurging for Starphire glass. Most of the seams look great, the main ones on the 4 edges and the bottom are really nicely done. Clean and bubble free. However, one corner of the tank on the overflow side is a complete mess (would be hidden by stand anyway) and the actual eurobracing has a whole mess of microbubbles and some larger ones. I'd like to get some opinions from you all on how this looks from the few pics I post. Should I have the guy redo the eurobracing? Is that even possible? And can I take a scalpel and clean up the mess by the overflow? All expert opinions welcome.

First pic is turned sideways, but this is the mess I discussed around the overflow. Unslightly, so wondering if I can scalpel away and clean it up.

2nd pic is an example of all the edges. Very clean, bubble free. (again sideways)

3rd pic is a part of the eurobracing...this is about 10" of 60" on one side...but this is more common than not. A tad unsettling.

4th pic is the front of the peninsula tank, eurobracing. Pretty large group of bubbles on the brace. Again, unsettling.

It was cheaper than most, but still a big investment and a failure is not an option. Bad news is good news before I put water inside.

If you're in the area and have time to maybe stop by this week and look at this thing in person, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll pay for your gas and time.

Attachments

• 20171126_230532.jpg
    20171126_230532.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 20171126_230544.jpg
    20171126_230544.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 251
  • 20171126_230631.jpg
    20171126_230631.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 243
  • 20171126_230728.jpg
    20171126_230728.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 279

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Definitely looks concerning to me. Is this guy a professional tank builder? I would most definitely voice your concerns to him and maybe have him come take a look and see what he thinks. Maybe do a fill test outside and see what happens.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Definitely looks concerning to me. Is this guy a professional tank builder? I would most definitely voice your concerns to him and maybe have him come take a look and see what he thinks. Maybe do a fill test outside and see what happens.
He has 20 years exp with building, has built 2 I know of with no issues noted to me recently. Did this on the side for me, so I'm a bit concerned. I don't know him personally, met a few times of course as check ups. The first was before the eurobracing and overflow were put in so I was really happy. The edge seams look great. But went to pick up the tank today and noticed this silicone bubbling as we were loading in the tank. Didn't voice my opinion right away, that's on me, but figured I'd get some expert opinions first before I contacted him. I'll certainly do a fill test asap.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Shouldn't the eurobrace go all around?? Unless the overflow acts as one...
I asked myself the same question. don't think the overflow would act as one, the braces aren't really attached...the stop at the end of the tank itself. the 2 tanks I saw he's done were the same, so again, didn't question it. its 1/2 glass, 24" high, the eurobrace was an afterthought to be honest. Was going to go straight rimless and with these dimensions the eurobrace is an extra precaution. I think he worries about splashing water from the overflow teeth, constant cleaning, etc. I was considering asking to add that last width piece though for piece of mind.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Hey Tim
First I would contact the builder and see what he suggests.
Are the micro bubbles only on the erobraced seams?
How are all the main seams bottom and side? If any bubbles in these seams is where I would really be concerned.

Jay

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Hey Tim
First I would contact the builder and see what he suggests.
Are the micro bubbles only on the erobraced seams?
How are all the main seams bottom and side? If any bubbles in these seams is where I would really be concerned.

Jay
Thanks Jay. Yea, the microbubbles seem to be only on the eurobracing. The main edges and bottom are really clean and a nice darkish green with no impurities.
I have the builder coming next week to ease my fears, add the missing brace along the overflow, and clean up a corner of silicone. I'm starting to relax again haha

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: