Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2019, 06:58 PM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Filter sock opinions

Anyone have any opinions or advice worth you time on filter socks?

Why I ask:
I have a reefer nano which I modded the sump for a refugium. So to get the sock to replace I have to remove the top off container to get my skimmer out to be able to remove the sock. It’s a real pita do do weekly at the least.

Running:
Skimmer, refugium, carbon, gfo, weekly 10-20% water changes.

I watched a brs video a while back where they confirmed worthwhile results when changing out the sock about ever 3-4 days.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:23 PM
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
my opinion in that case I wouldn't always run a sock but maybe setting a Wednesday or Thursday to Sunday routine. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing approach. I do see the benefits to a filter sock in my system.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:29 PM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Trial and error! May be too early/quick of a test for my conclusions but:

I removed the sock a week ago and “randomly” started seeing more algae and brown in shaded areas around the sand bed. Some coral started to seem a little less happy. All even after doing a 50% water change (because I did a flatworm purge). Put the sock back in and tank has shown improvement quite quickly.