A

Anonymous

I discovered a simple way to quieten the gurgling sound that my overflow syphon makes.

The method will be to place an object on top of the outer overflow box (where the sponge usually sits).

I made the object with a thick sponge and two sheets of styrafoam (1/4") sandwiching the sponge in the middle. You could use anything as long as it absorbs sound.

Simply cut all the pieces in a rectangle to fit snugly over the top of where the drain is. Next, glue the styrafoam to the sponge on top and bottom, and squeeze it into place in your overflow box. Make sure that you cover the ENTIRE AREA. Any spaces or gaps will allow the sound to escape out.

My overflow used to produce an annoying slurping sound, but now it's almost silent. Just a cute trickling sound now!!

I hope that this will benefit some of you, because there is nothing more annoying than listening to slurp-slurp-burp!
smile.gif

-Nathan

A

Anonymous

I found an easyer way.
I had a busted turkey baster and just happened to stick the plastic tube part, with the small nozzle up, in the hole of the overflow sponge. At the correct height, the noise is almost silent and the water raises about 1/2 way up the box. Too low and the box will overflow, Too high and the sound still occurs.

The great thing is that the correct range is very wide. Easy to adjust. i just hang mine in the tube of the sponge with a rubberband and a zip tie.

I would think any ridgid tube would work.

------------------
iRIDE w/ my SLO fizz

A

Anonymous

I use a gate valve to control the flow.

------------------

A

Anonymous

I agree with what you are saying about restricting the flow, but I have experimented with the method I am using. If I increase the flow, the tube just raises up and gives the water more flow.

I would have to agree with using a valve as a bad Idea. I was doing that at first then one day buildup in the tubes got loose and closed the gate. Lucky I was in the room and could hear the difference in the noise and looked to see the overflow level almost to the top. I pulled the valve off right as a few drops spilled over the sides.

Just think what could happen if your pumps turned off for a bit and then turned back on. The surge of water would loosen al the gunk in the pipes and might cause a clog. What if your not home??

[This message has been edited by Qwiv (edited 09 November 1999).]

A

Anonymous

Did the same thing with 1" PVC. Just saw off a foot of it, drill holes in top 6 inches. Fits perfectly in overflow.
Water rises in overflow to holes, noise decreased to trickling sound.

One important thing to remember tho is that in a power outage, most of that extra water in your boxes will end up in your sump...better check sump out to make sure it's big enough by cutting all pumps and skimmer off. Water will rise and you may end up needing to make adjustments.

Or all that water will end up in your stand and on your floor some day.

elvis

A

Anonymous

All of your methods are basicly the same....restricting the flow to match the pump. A little too much here and its noisy again, a little too much there and the floor gets wet. Although the noise is undesireable, its better than replaceing the carpet
smile.gif

------------------
"A mind is like a parachute, it only works when its open."

http://www.homestead.com/reefdawgsreef/untitled1.html

A

Anonymous

*OR*, you could be simple like me and just put a scrap of styrafoam on top of it and not have to worry about valves, pipes, flow, flooding!
smile.gif
smile.gif

-Nathan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: