A

Anonymous

I am looking to set up a 400-400-400 MH for a 180 gal tank. Can anyone refer me to a really cheap place where to get the ballast and sockets? If I get these as the only light sources and use 10K bulbs, how can I turn on and off the lights so they have a certain sunrise/sunset effect? I think turning them on all at once would produce photo shock? I thought about putting a pair of actinics 48" (one in front and one in back), but with this much lighting I think I could do without. I have heard that you should place MH with the bulbs parallel to the water surface and perpendicular to the front and back glass. Is this true? What way should the socket face (back or front)? If this is true, why is it that all the pre-made hoods for sale in all the NO places have the bulbs parallel to the water and the front glass?? Any suggestions?

A

Anonymous

Try Home Depot,lighting supply stores,or hydroponic stores for the ballasts. I got my new 400w ballast and Iwasaki 6500k from a commercial lighting supplier. I use ordinary electrical timers to turn my lights on and off. The bulbs give a better light spread if they are mounted horizontaly and perpendicular to the front of the tank. Place the socket to the back of the hood(makes it easier to run the wiring out of the hood).

I think all the pre-made hoods have them running parallel because it makes it easier to fit the flouresences in and keeps the hood smaller.

Dale

A

Anonymous

dimaggio

I'm up in Canada so you won't be able to tell much by what I paid, but the lighting supply I got mine from was a little bit cheaper than Home Depot. I think Home Depot sells the 400w ballast for $69 cdn and the lighting supply sold the same ballast for $64 cdn. I was getting the bulb from the lighting supply so I got the ballast at the same time. From what I read on the BB's things are alot cheaper in the U.S.($20 us for a 175w ballast at Home Depot) I think Home Depot or some of the other large chains would be your best bet.

Dale

A

Anonymous

I tried my local Home Depot and Lowes and neither one has them. Does anyone know of a mail order place I can get them from? I'll call a couple of lighting places from the phone book, but based on their ads I doubt much will come of it. Thanks anyways.

A

Anonymous

Try lighting supply stores that cater more to commerical clients or electricians.

A

Anonymous

Got a hold of a local lighting supply that will sell me a 400 watt ballast and bulb (10K) for $90 if I bought them as an unit! The socket is an extra $5! You have to wire it all, but you can't beat that price. Their name is Thayer lighting and their number is 815-282-1112 in case you are interested too. By the wa, I am in no way affiliate with these people.

A

Anonymous

Try www.jensalt.com they have PFO ballast that come in a very nice aluminum box with switch and 8' cord. I got the dual 250 watt ballast with sockets and 15'cord that you just plug into ballast for $169.00.

Lordfork

A

Anonymous

A 10k bulb and a 400w ballast for $90!! I think it's time to move.
smile.gif
Up here you can hardly get the ballast for that. What brand of bulb is it?

A

Anonymous

I have no idea what kind of bulb or ballast it is. I really should have asked. I may call them tomorrow and ask. I didn't ask the price of the bulbs by thenselves, so I may ask about that too. The jensalt.com ballast that come pre-assembled look very nice, but I can do without the nice part if I can get them much more cheaper.

A

Anonymous

I have checked out all the sites that have been mentioned in the previous replys, and all the ballast that are offered are non-electronic. What are the differences between the two types? I know the electronic ballasts will use less energy and increase bulb life, but should I worry about those things when I can save big money? In other words, is the added heat, shorter bulb life and whatever else worth saving the money initially? Can anybody tell me what are some of the other disadvantages to the older type of ballast (electromagnetic?)?

Thank you.

A

Anonymous

I know that some types of MH bulbs work only w/ the old style ballasts,. Make sure your bulbs are compatible w/ electronic ballasts b4 you buy.

A

Anonymous

Got a hold of a local lighting supply that will sell me a 400 watt ballast and bulb (10K) for $90 if I bought them as an unit! The socket is an extra $5! You have to wire it all, but you can't beat that price. Their name is Thayer lighting and their number is 815-282-1112 in case you are interested too. By the wa, I am in no way affiliate with these people.

A

Anonymous

I called Thayer lighting myself, twice actually. The 400watt MH bulb offered with this 90.00$ package is either GE or Sylvania and after I pressured them and pressured them to go get the bulb and find the Kelvin temp on the box, they found that for both bulbs it is just over 4000. Spectrum is considerd secondary to intensity for most reef applications, but if you want that crisp white look of a well lit reef tank you will have to use 03 VHO or PC to balance this temp, these may not even compensate. Buy the balast, leave the bulbs at the store.

ZQY

A

Anonymous

ZQY: I am glad you mentioned this. When I first called them, I asked for a 400 watt ballast and also for the price of 10K bulbs. They either didn't hear the last part or figured I didn't care. I would have made sure when I went to the store the bulbs were the right ones. I'll call again and get the price of the ballast by itself and post it when I know. If they gave it to you, you can post it as well.

A

Anonymous

Dimaggio
The price on the ballast is 75.00$ not to bad but you might find a better deal. Did'nt mean to rain on your parade but thought it sounded too good to be true.

ZQY

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: