A

Anonymous

Can anyone give me their oppinion on the new 12000k SunBurst Metal Halide bulb? Also, what is the difference with the 14000k bulbs? Will Actincs be needed to supplement with the SunBurst bulbs?

Yes, I'm a potential light upgrader... TIA

A

Anonymous

I wrote to Marine Deopt and asked them about the 12000K's.

I would still like to see a spectrograph of this bulb.

Here is what they said:

-------------------------
Thanks for ordering with Marine Depot. Your order will be shipped today. As
for those 12,000k bulbs, we do not have any pictures of them running right
now. We have pics of them on our homepage, but not while they are on. We are
using them here and they are really quite beautiful. The color is between
the 10k and 14k, probably closer to the 14k. Hope that helps a little.
Please feel free to email us if you have any other questions or concerns.
Thanks again.
-----------------------

-Nathan

A

Anonymous

I'm getting a pair of the 250 watt version of that 12,000 k bulb. I should have them set up either today or the next day. I'll let you know how they look. Right now I run 14,000 k (175 watt) and I have used 10,000 k (175 watt) german in the past, so I should be able to tell you how they compare.

------------------
-Life's a Reef, so frag'n enjoy it.

A

Anonymous

GoldenGoby,

Ahhhh PERFECT! I also have 175W and plan on upgrading to 2 X 250W 12000K, so I would be very interested in what you think of them. Let me know if you think they are bright enough, if you think they need supplemental actinic lighting and how the colour compares.

Thanks,

-Nathan

A

Anonymous

Nathan,

Here's the scoop. First, I really like them. Now you have to understand that I like a blue color in my reef. I also supplement w/ 2 VHO actinics. But, with this new 250 watt 12,000k bulb, I really don't need the VHO! This is great! I also use a light meter, and I measured the intensity of my 14,000k w/ VHO before I changed out the ballasts and bulbs. When I put in the new bulbs, I got a reading of 5 on the high scale at the bottom of my 24" deep tank. Before I got a 2 at the bottom, so there is definately a intensity increase. I can also just look at the tank and see the difference. All in all, the upgrade was completely worth it and I'm glad I went with those bulbs. The main reason is this: There are no single ended 250 watt 10,000k german bulbs that use a standard ballast (not HQI), and I don't want the yellow/green color that I have heard the Iwasaki bulbs have. I have no idea how long the bulbs will hold their color, but even if they were to shift toward yellow, I wouldn't be too upset because they would still look great with my actinic supplement. Anyway, if you want more intensity and like a bluer color, go for these bulbs.

one last thing, for comparison, these bulbs look more like a Euro 14,000k than a german 10,000k, but not as blue as the 14,000k. They're like the add says, somewhere in the middle. Also, I bought hamilton replacement ballasts and they fit into my existing enclosure just fine. The re-wiring was easy. Oh yes, I added a radioshack 4" fan to the hood, and it seems even cooler than before because of the greatly increase airflow! What can I say, I'm happy all around.

------------------

[This message has been edited by GoldenGoby (edited 20 January 2000).]

A

Anonymous

I have to agree with GoldenGoby. I received and installed the 175 watt 12000k and I was impressed by what it produce. Yes more on the bluish side, but yet elegant. I'm still a "softy" when it comes to corals but with this upgrade I should become "hard" real quick. I only have one Acropora (for now) and the M.H. I will be documenting it's growth with just the 12000k, with no other lighting supplements. The light it produce is so much more crisp looking versus just VHO .BTW. I'm green when it comes to MH but with the start of this 12000k, it should make me BLUE!
smile.gif

A

Anonymous

GoldenGoby,
BTW, there is a new single ended german 10K in 250W from AB...no data on reliability yet but should be widely available soon. I think Marine Depot and Champion have it now.

Doesn't sound like you need it, but thought you might wanna know.

elvis

A

Anonymous

We (IceCap) got a 175 and 250 bulb in recently. The 175 worked great with our Model 175-MH. Looks very similar to the new Coralife line of imported MH bulbs. The Coralife's are 10K and are less blue than the SunBurst. I haven't tested output on the SunBurst yet but the Coralife ran at 220 watts. Too soon to call it great but testing is positive so far. (Don't think of these as their domestic twins.)
The 250's (either) do not start with our stock 250-MH ballasts. We have a new ballast being tested that does work with a built-in restart, very similar to our 250-MHI for Iwasaki bulbs.
Time will tell how wonderful these latest bulbs really are. They do look promising.
Andy

A

Anonymous

Elvisdoc,

I looked on the Marine Depot website, and I couldn't find the german 250 watt 10,000 Kelvin single-ended bulb. Maybe they don't have it advertised yet. But thanks for the tip, I'm glad that there are going to be more options for me in the future, in case these 12,000 k bulbs color shift really quickly, or something.

------------------

A

Anonymous

GoldenGoby,
You must have missed it but marinedepot does have the 250w 10k single ended german bulbs.
they are $99. Read the bottom of the chart they have with all the prices and you will be able to tell which of the bulbs are single ended.
Take care

A

Anonymous

Do you guys know where the 12k Sunburst bulbs are made in? Just curious. I have a friend who just got one. I looked at the base and there is a imprint of "Tae Yang" or something....I thought they were Japanese at first (according to ReefFanatic). But with that name, I think they are Korean.

A

Anonymous

been running my 12k for three months now...got it from ALS. LOVE IT!!!so does everything in my tank. see ya.

A

Anonymous

I heard they were made in Japan. Don't know for sure.

I just got my dual 400W 12K system up and running on Friday over my 75g in addition to one 175W 12K. AWESOME! The dual temperature controlled fans I bought (IceCap) work like a charm and I have no overheating problems.

I now have 1000W of sunburst light over my 75! I'm going to be buying sps corals soon.

-Nathan

A

Anonymous

You might want to check the post I made 4/23/00 before you decide. It was called "My 12000k Sunburst bit the dust after 3 months"

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: