A

Anonymous

I Have a 150gal that I have never liked the jets (4 powerheads) since they tend to collect algae and suck up fish/anenomes. Or if I guard the intake valves it reduces the jet. I'm in process of setting up a new 225 and hope to do some things differently. Anyone have a different way of achieving good water current?

A

Anonymous

Marie,

Does your new tank have built in overflows? I have a 120 on order with two built ins and I plan on using a Mag 12 for a return pump. That should give me about 850gph @ 4' head. All of this will be coming through two return nozzles.

A

Anonymous

Although they're uglyier than hell, you could put pre-filters on the powerheads (unless thats what you mean by "guard") and if you think that it reduces the flow get a more powerfull powerhead! If you keep the prefilter clean it shouldn't reduce the flow that much.

I guess if you didn't want to use them you could use a dump bucket or multiple spraybars but i think powerheads are more efficient.

A

Anonymous

Look into the sea swirl, the water is supplied from the return pump, so just the outlet is in the main tank. My coral seem to love the intermitten surge

RWB

A

Anonymous

Marie,
On my 125 I have 2 seperate pumps.One is a return from the sump and the other is for circulation only.The circulation pump has a pvc pipe intake that hangs over the back of the tank.Water gets sucked up through this and goes to the pump.After the pump is a tee that splits into 2 returns at opposite ends of the tank.I like this better than powerheads.On my next tank I will use this same idea except I'm using 2 1" SeaSwirls on the returns.Bob

------------------
My new reef web site: http://bobsreefermadness.homestead.com/index.html

A

Anonymous

sea swirl tell me more please! anyhoo some imput check out: robertc.michelsons aquarium circulation sytem. sorry dont know how to link to this bb good luck del

[This message has been edited by littelfish (edited 15 May 2000).]

A

Anonymous

It is a return line, that oscillates 90 degrees, causes random currents in the tank. Mounts to the back of the tank, and plug it in. I have no power heads in my tank, but have plenty of water movement.

RWB

A

Anonymous

reef58 where did you get this little goodie? you must like it tell me more

A

Anonymous

on my 180, i use a Mag1800 for return along with two Maxijet 1200's, a Maxijet 750 and a 600 for circulation. all the Maxijet come with an intake guard which i have had my cleaner shrimp walk over and not get sucked up

------------------
My 180 Utopia: Updated 5/16/00

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: