A

Anonymous

Is PFO MH lighting good quality. Or should I go with Hamilton or Ice Cap or ????

I am going to get two 250W 6500K Iwasaki.

A

Anonymous

PFO makes nice ballasts. They will run much hotter then the electronic type ballasts like Ice Cap, but they are cheaper.
I run 5 400watt PFO's and I have had no problem so far. They key is purchasing quality bulbs...

Good Luck

------------------
brian
atlantisaquatic.com

A

Anonymous

Just my .02,
They're the best MH system out on the market, IMO. The retro kits are the cheapest retros available. The only thing cheaper would be a "DIY" kit. This means that you'll do most of the wiring yourself, but even then I got my 3x400wt Iwasakis just as cheap as most DIY kits. My lfs charged me $550 for the triple system! The customer service is the best as well. P.S. Is that Brian of Reefers, "Atlantis"?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help. What does PFO stand for and do you have a www site for them?

A

Anonymous

I would have to dissagree with srbayless about not getting much benefit from running Iwasaki bulbs on PFO ballasts verses IceCap. I have done visual side by side comparison of bulbs running on the different ballasts and the electronic ballasts create a significant increase in light output, especially Iwasaki bulbs. Also the electronic ballast come with a 3 year warranty,are repairable,more energy eficient and don't generate heat.

Reefaddictus

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I agree, IceCap ballasts will run almost any bulb brighter. To what extent, I am not certain. I have seen claims of 30% brighter, but no hard data to back that up.

As I mentioned, as long as heat is not a major issue, the benefit is nill. And the extra money you save in electricity seems to be minor. I checked other posts on the subject of electronic versus magnetic and there seems to be an overwhelming majority of reefers who think and report the electical saving are insubstantial.

I would have to agree that the electronic ballasts (especially IceCaps) are superior in heat generation, light output, and energy efficiency.

I only suggest that if you are not lighting a very deep tank (>30"), and heat is not an issue, then save the money (~$250) and buy the PFO ballast. You can get a double PFO 250 watt iwasaki ballast with bulbs at marine depot for $286. The same setup with the icecap ballasts is $550.

Draft Pick- I am not sure what PFO stands for, but you can check them out at www.marinedepot.com once the sight comes back online. You can type in http://206.117.191.215/ to get to the sight right now.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

http://www.aone.com/~pfolight/home.html

Icecap's are too expensive, yes you get a 3 year warrantee, but the new E-ballast and the Icecap are hard to buy when you can get an entire retro kit of PFO for the price of ballast only.

PFO is the manufacturer of lighting and that is their web site.

Keith

------------------
Visit Keith's Reef

A

Anonymous

Just a couple questions? Who says that the electronic ballest are 30% more efficient and burn brighter besides the manufacture? I thought all halides had to burn at the same temp.? This is how they function? The E-ballest are cooler but the lights run the same temp? I thought that the e-ballest accually run at a cooler temp and created a little less light? This is what I researched and have found, it might not all be really accurate but this is good enough for me to go with Pfo. Dual 400 65k cost $335.8 and single cost $190 and there's no tax with MO.Now VHO is different. E-ballest is the only way to go. IMO

A

Anonymous

I am the Dir. of Engineering for a company that uses many sizes and types of Metal Halide lighting. Though optics aren't my strong suit, perhaps I can clarify a little.

Electronic ballasts are inherently more efficient in driving the lamp and therefore waste less electricity. This results in less heat (wasted energy) and in lower operating costs. Upfront costs are high, but operating costs over the life of the product are lower.

MH lights want to run at constant power. Electronic ballasts do a better job of managing the constant power aspect and therefore the colors of a MH lamp will tend to be more consistent over the life of the bulb and you can potentially achieve an increase in brightness, although 30% seems kinda high.

Temperature of the bulb can be adversely affected only if you have direct air cooling of the bulb itself. If the bulb is kept too cool, its life is shortened and the color spectrum can shift. In our testing the colors tend to shift toward the blue, which might not be such a bad thing.

Electronic ballasts, being more complicated than other types, also tend to fail more often, although for a well designed ballast this should not be a major consideration.

Having said all that, when I buy my upgrade, I'm planning on going for the PFO setup based on cost.

-- Ken

A

Anonymous

Hi,

IceCap is an electronic model, so it has advantages over the magnetic ballasts like PFO and Hamilton. The IceCap will run cooler and should make your bulbs color stay more constant for a longer period. Unfortunately you pay alot more for these benefits.

If you are not worried about the ballast heat, go with PFO ballasts. They are alot less expensive, and they are great for running iwasaki bulbs. The color shift in iwasaki bulbs is very little, so you won't get much benefit from and IceCap ballast.

Hamilton and PFo are essentially the same type of ballast, but Hamilton's cost more and come in a ventilated ballast. PFO's ballasts are sealed, so there is less of a chance of water getting into the box.

I say go with the PFO ballast, its much cheaper and a great product for the money.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

#1 Draft Pick,

I would suggest looking over the lighting systems manufactured by www.coralreefecosystems.com. They offer all electronic systems, using IceCap ballasts, as well as core and coil. I think they're price for Iwasaki bulbs is unbeatable.

Reefaddictus

A

Anonymous

The Iwaski bulbs are MV, not MH right?

Mv bulbs require a different type of ballast
for start up.May be the people using mv bulbs have caused damage to the bulbs and
that might be the reason they see differences
between electronic vs pfo. I think that if you go with iwaski bulbs you should go with the pfo ballast that they sell for mv bulbs only. Am I correct?

A

Anonymous

PFO stands for Pretty Friggin' Outstanding...

Forget the e-ballasts unless you want an e-headache. PFO's are great.

elvis

A

Anonymous

Hopefully in a short while I will be able to upgrade to MH also.

I think PFO had the best price and best product at this time.

Unless IceCap drops the price in half for the ballast in the near future, I won't even consider the electronic MH from them. I guess that is why they give a 3 year warranty, give you the piece of mind of the price, still not worth it to me though.

I just wish Iwasaki made a 175W 6500K bulb though
frown.gif

Good luck,
Keith

------------------
Visit Keith's Reef

A

Anonymous

KenH
It sounded like you worked for Icecap or Blueline by your post but you suprised me at the end.PFO. I would buy a electronic ballest if they had all the bugs worked out. For the price it shouldn't have any probs. But not the case. Pfo already has a good rep. And for the cost of electronic and savings it would take years to get the savings back.I heard MV ballest are energy hogs and the regular PFO can run 65k just fine and you aren't limited to Iwaski like the MV. I belive MH pfo is better. From all the info I've gathered. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive but I've reshearched it for months and belive I picked the right route.

A

Anonymous

Hi All:
I just wanted to clarify something. The PFO Power Compact retro kit does come with an electronic ballast. It is an electronic ballast that will run 2x55wt. or 1x96wt. It comes either enclosed, with the molex quick disconnects, or you can order it bare, and do all the wiring yourself. PFO is coming out with the same water resistant endcaps w/right angle cables that CSL has, hopefully within the next 4 weeks. Regardless, our customers are finding this retro the best out there because of price and PFO's customer service. We have had only 1 PFO electronic ballast go bad, and that was due to incorrect wiring. This electronic ballast also comes configured to run 2x110 VHO bulbs, as well. HTH - Staff

A

Anonymous

I belive it's the halide ballest that's core and coil. Not electric. For me I would buy Pfo halide ballest not an E-ballest. And if I were to buy VHO or PC I would only go E-ballest.

A

Anonymous

Just for the record, I do not work for a ballast manufacturer. I work for a company that designs rear screen projection systems called Video Cubes that are tiled into a large matrix forming a large video wall. You see them on TV occasionally.

We utilize many types of MH lights in our systems from 100W to 575W. We have very demanding requirements that lamp colors match from cube to cube in a wall, so we utilize electronic ballasts to provide better control and to reduce operating costs.

We have found some of the electronic ballasts to be susceptable to power line strikes which cause them to fail during brown-out and similar conditions.

--- Ken

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: