A

Anonymous

I just want an accurate reading of my ph! I tested my water for ph w/ a tetra test kit, aquarium pharm. dry tab and drops, ph test strips (cant remember the brand name) and Seatest. Each test gave me a different reading. everything from 7.4 to 8.8?!? All these kits had new reagents. so I cant figure out which one is the most accurate test kit. Can anyone recommend a good test kit? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

To get an accurate pH reading you need a pH monitor. Pinpoint makes a good one that is still affordable. FF Express had it on special for $89 last week. Or you could do what I do, don't test for it at all!
If your ALK is high (3.5 to 4.0) and your surface agitation is good, the pH will be good also. I find it much more important to test phosphate, ALK, and Calcium on a weekly basis, and pH has never really been an issue with my tank anyway.

John

A

Anonymous

Salifert kicks a$$! They are affordable and very accurate!

A

Anonymous

I also like Salifert, I have more test kits here than you can shake a stick at and went through the same thing you are. Finally someone recommended Salifert and I tried it. To be double sure I had my water tested at a near by lab and the Salifert result matched.

------------------
If you ever dreamed of being a chemist, try salt aquariums it's close enough #:)

A

Anonymous

can you recommend a good alk test? The test strip one I used had one, but I dont trust it. Thanks

A

Anonymous

Ravenstar,
How did you find a lab to test your water? I tried the Yellow Pages in LA, and didn't seem to find anything reasonable. I also have a bunch of test kits, and would love to have a lab run tests.

------------------
Dennis
http://www.quikstor.com/reef

A

Anonymous

Here in Pittsburgh Dennis we have a listing in the yellow pages [Laboratories-Testing] and I may have lucked out. Cause when I called the secretary put me through to a lab tech and he said no problem, bring in a sample and he would take me right in. Cost me $10 for pH test only and he did not make me go through all their normal procedures (paper work and waiting) according to him. He said it would be rediculous to make me wait half a day for such a simple test.

There is a national testing service here if you'd like I can find out details and if it's reasonable and not too much trouble maybe send me a sample or them directly. I'm not sure if the pH would change much in transit, but I could find out. My e-mail is <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: