Equipment Review: Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer (Damn Good Bang for Your Buck)

As most of you know I have a love affair with Deltec and other High End name brands within the aquarium hobby. Well I have been in the market for a new Protein Skimmer for this aquarium and all that could think of was Bubble King or Deltec. But I remembered seeing an a review for the Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer on ReefBuilders.com and decided to give it a try. What is the worst that could happen? I could have positive evidence to convince my husband that this Protein Skimmer blow more then just bubbles and that I have to purchase a Bubble King. So I made a trip to my local Fish Store and picked it up.

Setup was extremely easy since the majority of the unit comes assembled with the exception for the Recirculation Pump, Air Line Tubing, and Feed Pump (not included). You have an option for the feed pump you can have a powerhead connected or you can tee off from your return pump. I personally choose to connect a powerhead to the feed input (I am using a Maxi-Jet 1200). The feed line states that it must be between 300 gph to 400 gph in order to get optimum results. I played with the skimmer for 2 days making minor adustments to the air intake as well as the control of the water outlet which adjust the height of the Foam. The Neck washing system is a real plus but it doesn't have a squeegee like the $1,000.00 Deltec a Bubble king counterparts. So placing the Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer in an accessible area is a must since the neck washing system is manually controlled and should be done daily.

My overall opinion of the Protein Skimmer is that it is large and give you the most bang for you buck. The foam and Micro bubbles are amazing and as you can see in just 4 days it's pulling out some nasty stuff. I say Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe FTW (For The Win)!

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

Photograph - Friday, December 12, 2008 - Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer.

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

Photograph - Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4 days running and look at all the nasty stuff it removed.

Standard Operation Video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TXaqML7HR4U

Neck Washing System Operation Video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QWNapuqK63Q

Last edited by a moderator:
S
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
does it have to be in sump ?
can you gravity feed it if you get like 400 gallons per hour from overflow?

The instructions give both sump installation and outside of the sump using a 90 degree elbow to allow the water to exit into the sump. However, both instructions require either using a power head or to tee off from your return pump. I'm not sure if the gravity fed method would effect the performance of the Protein Skimmer.

R

redseasteve

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks for the positive comments everyone- glad you like our new baby!
If you are using one and would like to join in a select group of consumers with whom we would like to gain some more feedback, drop me an email to: [email protected]. Chance to influence new products, get early sight of development and help us shape the future of the hobby. Best wishes for 2009 from all of us at Red Sea.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: