pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hey All

So I have a Remora HOB skimmer w/ MJ 1200 pump sitting in my sump and I get decent skimmate but it can take as much as 2 weeks to fill the cup and even longer. Also the collection cup O ring is cracked and about to snap though I'm sure I could replace that fairly easily.

This worked great on my 30 gal but now that I have a 65gal with sump I'm thinking I need something better?

I want to stick with HOB skimmers.

What are some of the better ones out there? While I don't want to say that money is no object I'm willing to spend for something that will be noticeably more effective than my Remora.

Thanks!

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Phil, do you REALLY want a HOB?? If sump space is the issue, how about a nice external recirculating skimmer? A skimmer like this can be fed from your overflow, which is a good thing.

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Phil, do you REALLY want a HOB?? If sump space is the issue, how about a nice external recirculating skimmer? A skimmer like this can be fed from your overflow, which is a good thing.

That's a possibility too though though it's pretty tight in that cabinet. The Remora is plummed into the return.

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I vouch for the CPR aeroforce. I picked mine up from Saltwatercritters. WOrks wayy better than my old remora..I have to clean the cup daily, deep black crud.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I truly trust Russ' opinion. He has NEVER steered me wrong.

With that said-
I am bias towards octopus. They are affordable, use high end pumps, and copy all the latest trends... Good bang for the buck.

Hey Keith, thanks for the kindness. :redface:

No negatives about the Octopus either. Another good line of skimmers.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: