JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I know, I know I could search and find a 100 articles on how to quiet these pipes, but constantly regulating the air and the airlines getting clogged with salt, and the gargling noise is driving me mad. I just want a quiet pipe.

The guy at LFS told me my mag 9.5 is too weak for a 125 + 30gal sump tank, adding to the noise.

Could I just buy these pipes already setup to be quiet and efficient

Thanks for any info

ecchybridLE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
how many returns / overflows do you have in the tank? also , are they dorso pipes? if they are dorso's , you should be able to adjust them up and down. i found with mine that i had to find the sweet spot so to speak. having them higher up may help.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have 2 over flows, but still, if I completely block the airflow the suction is really powerfull and loud if its too open the water goes all the way up in the tank. Should i keep the sir hole blocked? Because the air regulators are pain in A$%

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Just use a short length of airline tubing with a John Guest Ball Valve on it. You can adjust the airflow with the ball valve. Not a PITA at all.

Russ

Yea but tubing and air valve is always getting clogged, and overall just no where near as efficient as overflows that actually came with tank by manufacturer (this was purchased from a MR member)

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
When you see it start to clog, just take a cupful of boiling water (RODI water) and let the airline tubing with the ball valve suck it up. The boiling water will clear all clogs and you'll be good to go for another month or so. Works great for me.

Russ

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I dunno what you guy's're talking about with air regulators; I've got a durso on both of my tanks and they're effectively silent at the top, with bubbling at the bottom. (I built a sort of durso at the bottom to quiet the gurgling there on the 65.) They've just got holes in 'em; if the holes get clogged, I poke the salt out with a paperclip.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I dunno what you guy's're talking about with air regulators; I've got a durso on both of my tanks and they're effectively silent at the top, with bubbling at the bottom. (I built a sort of durso at the bottom to quiet the gurgling there on the 65.) They've just got holes in 'em; if the holes get clogged, I poke the salt out with a paperclip.

On mine if I leave the hole fully open the water rises all the way over the overflow box, and if its fully closed it makes a huge suction noise, so hense why i need an air regulator to control the amount of air that passes through

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
When you see it start to clog, just take a cupful of boiling water (RODI water) and let the airline tubing with the ball valve suck it up. The boiling water will clear all clogs and you'll be good to go for another month or so. Works great for me.

Russ

I agree with Russ for all plumbing solutions :tongue:.

Yea I thought you said you stopped the gurgling... last time I went over I thought it stopped.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
JL, I'm in the same situation as you. It's driving me nuts.

What size tubing are you using? I'm using 3/8". 1/4" was TOO small. I may go up another size (1/2"?) and add a ball valve.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: