• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Would like some input on the following:

Looking to go back to MH/t5 combo and I came across two fixtures and need to bite the bullet on one of them by tomorrow

(1) Giesemann 2x250w hqi and 4x54w T5 great price at $800 with bulbs approx 4 months old

(2) Elos Planet II 2 x 150w hqi and 4x39w T5's $600 no bulbs..

I'm leaning toward the Elos planet since I only have a 20" high tank...and I like the fact that I would be saving 200w every hour I turn on the halides...

I can also swap out the ballasts, bulbs and ceramic sockets on the giesemann to make it 150w but that is going to be a pain

Input appreciated....

Thanks.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks Jaa1456
I run a mixed reef now.....and have the following live stock

(2) RBTA's
(1) Red Cap
(1) Green Slimer
(1) Idaho Grape Cap
(1) Green Purple Rim Cap
(1) Torch
(1) Frogspawn
(1) Hammer
GSP
Sinularia Leather
Finger Leather
Hydnophora
(2) Candy Canes
(1) Acan
Palys and zoos...

plan to go over to more sps.....

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
48" but Jesse at Elos told me that the coverage is fine on that sized tank...He recommends it for the Elos 120 system and that tank is almost the same size as mine 48x22x20 elos versus 48x24x20 which is mytank.

The planet is only 36" wide versus the giesemann which is 48"

supposedly better reflectors on the planet according to Jesse

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
tough call, if you keeping your current setup i would do the Elos but if you are going sps dominated then i would go for G-man 250w

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks Juiceguy.....

Well I haven't had that much luck with my sps other than the green slimer and caps have been doing well...would love to migrate toward acros...

I think on a 20" high tank I would be fine with the 150s even with acros....but should probably be placed near the top...

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Water quality is key to keeping Acros. Your plan for 150 MH is fine if you will be keeping Acros high. However, you can keep Acros anywhere with your Constellation if you haven't sold it yet. Are you swiching for the shimmer?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: