• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I am no expert on the subject, but I do have a generator to power my tanks - as I have a number of tanks.

One thing nobody is mentioning is HOW these hook up to give us power.

Mine is wired to my electrical panel (done by an ELECTRICIAN!!!) and it looks like the top one on this page:
http://www.connecticut-electric.com...log/d34c1cce-cb35-49e7-a100-7aac716e76d8.aspx

The circuits for my tanks, furnace, pond and fridge (more about that later) are hard-wired into this unit. Only those circuits.
If the power goes out it is a matter if plugging in the cable that goes from that box to the generator and turning the thing on and flipping some switches ..and poof --> power.

Granted the generator also has receptacles that can be used for extension cords, but that can't be used to get your furnace working, which is a big issue when the power goes out in the winter.
(I did use one extension cord for my fridge since we remodeled and forgot to get that new circuit wired back to the switch box..$48 for a single cord...sigh)

IIRC the manual switch box cost around $150 at the time, and the electrican was a friend :)
My generator has a Briggs & Stratton engine and a startup of 6250w and runs 5000W (cost about $500 a few years ago). It ran EVERYTHING I asked it too with no issue and topped out around 1000W.

That was for my 3 SW tanks - return pumps, heaters, Vortechs, powerheads. My 2 FW tanks, heaters filters & lights, and the bubbler to my pond..along with my furnace (& hot water), the fridge and way more lights in my house than I expected, though we mostly left those off. I also did not run the lights on my SW tanks, nor the reactors, but I easily could have.

We only filled it with gas 3 times (6 g tank I believe) and even then it was nowhere near empty, though they do tend to use a lot of oil. (mine won't run if the oil level is low, and automatically turns off if it gets too low).

Considering the investment we have in our tanks, for under $1000, the comfort zone it brings is priceless.

I've had it for 3 years and this is the first time we've had to use it, but damn, I could have kissed it...

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I am no expert on the subject, but I do have a generator to power my tanks - as I have a number of tanks.

One thing nobody is mentioning is HOW these hook up to give us power.

Mine is wired to my electrical panel (done by an ELECTRICIAN!!!) and it looks like the top one on this page:
http://www.connecticut-electric.com...log/d34c1cce-cb35-49e7-a100-7aac716e76d8.aspx

The circuits for my tanks, furnace, pond and fridge (more about that later) are hard-wired into this unit. Only those circuits.
If the power goes out it is a matter if plugging in the cable that goes from that box to the generator and turning the thing on and flipping some switches ..and poof --> power.

Granted the generator also has receptacles that can be used for extension cords, but that can't be used to get your furnace working, which is a big issue when the power goes out in the winter.
(I did use one extension cord for my fridge since we remodeled and forgot to get that new circuit wired back to the switch box..$48 for a single cord...sigh)

IIRC the manual switch box cost around $150 at the time, and the electrican was a friend :)
My generator has a Briggs & Stratton engine and a startup of 6250w and runs 5000W (cost about $500 a few years ago). It ran EVERYTHING I asked it too with no issue and topped out around 1000W.

That was for my 3 SW tanks - return pumps, heaters, Vortechs, powerheads. My 2 FW tanks, heaters filters & lights, and the bubbler to my pond..along with my furnace (& hot water), the fridge and way more lights in my house than I expected, though we mostly left those off. I also did not run the lights on my SW tanks, nor the reactors, but I easily could have.

We only filled it with gas 3 times (6 g tank I believe) and even then it was nowhere near empty, though they do tend to use a lot of oil. (mine won't run if the oil level is low, and automatically turns off if it gets too low).

Considering the investment we have in our tanks, for under $1000, the comfort zone it brings is priceless.

I've had it for 3 years and this is the first time we've had to use it, but damn, I could have kissed it...

So Kathy which specific model do you have?

Any pics?

What is the min distance you keep it away from your home?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
So Kathy which specific model do you have?

Any pics?

What is the min distance you keep it away from your home?

Model of generator? lol, not entirely sure, they put it away and it's turned backwards, so I couldn't see the name..and it was dark over the weekend..lol, so I missed it then too. I know we got it at HD about 3 years ago..it was my Christmas present :)

No pics for the same reason, it is chained up under my enclosed deck currently.

It was running about 4 feet away from the side of the house (have carbon monoxide detector in the kitchen - nearest room to where it was) as that is as far as the cord would reach. My son (the fireman) said we need a longer cord for the next time, he was not pleased with the distance...

Audi0s

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Tons of great info in this thread, I got lucky and lost power twice for about 10 seconds each, still the most worrying 10 seconds of my life! People across the street from me have no power, I feel very lucky. I will definitely have a plan for next time, the car battery and inverter would work, Im a mechanic so I have access to lots of big batteries! Sorry to anyone who lost their livestock, it would seriously affect me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: